What's new

Old man 8 ball on 250 test a week.

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
Hey @LesPaul - bud for a man your age or any age for that matter and not hammering gear, you are in good shape. Your very vascular and lean. You should be proud of how far you have come considering your inability, which I can relate to, to do some exercises I'm sure you would like to.
Working triceps twice a week should be more than enough - do you do a push/pull/leg twice a week system? What exercises do you do for your triceps? How many sets?

Veteran

VET
Looking good brother! Everyone responds differently of course so I'll relate what I do when I want to bring bis or tris up. 3x a week, 6 sets total each, all to failure, alternating sets bis\tris. I like to hit them hard and heavy, 12 sets in 25 to 30 minutes. Tri exercises depending on how your elbows handle the movements.

LesPaul

Super Heavyweight
Hey @LesPaul - bud for a man your age or any age for that matter and not hammering gear, you are in good shape.
Thank @Goldenrod! Coming back into this sport so late in the game I find it unrealistic to be hammering gobs of gear and chasing mass. My goals are more in line with aesthetics, longevity and the mental & physical rewards form lifting.

You should be proud of how far you have come considering your inability,
I don't like to use my fucked up shoulders as an excuse but the truth is they do. I can't push as much weight to failure that may be required to bring some areas up in line with my aesthetic goals. But I keep trying ;-)

Working triceps twice a week should be more than enough - do you do a push/pull/leg twice a week system? What exercises do you do for your triceps? How many sets?
I do a modified PPL now. Which is kind of like a bro spit now I guess. I find I need more days off. PPL for the past 3 years.
Day 1 - Back/Tris -15min LISS cardio
Day 2 - Shoulders/Traps -15min LISS cardio
Day 3 -Off ( Core -15min LISS cardio)
Day4 -Chest/Bis - 15min LISS cardio
Day5 -Legs
Day 6- Off

Tris
Straight bar push downs 8 sets of progressive overload to failure
Overhead rope extensions - 6 sets of progressive overload to failure
Close grip press - 6 sets progressive overload to failure
Dumbbell skull crushers burnouts. Don't count. Just do till I can anymore.

Testbear

Super Heavyweight

John has lots of good triceps videos. @Veteran as he said with the elbow pain. John usually has you start with a high rep extension to get blood in there before any heavy work. Which I agree with even if you have good elbows. I think going straight into heavy triceps work is not good for long term longevity.

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
Thank @Goldenrod! Coming back into this sport so late in the game I find it unrealistic to be hammering gobs of gear and chasing mass. My goals are more in line with aesthetics, longevity and the mental & physical rewards form lifting.

I don't like to use my fucked up shoulders as an excuse but the truth is they do. I can't push as much weight to failure that may be required to bring some areas up in line with my aesthetic goals. But I keep trying ;-)

I do a modified PPL now. Which is kind of like a bro spit now I guess. I find I need more days off. PPL for the past 3 years.
Day 1 - Back/Tris -15min LISS cardio
Day 2 - Shoulders/Traps -15min LISS cardio
Day 3 -Off ( Core -15min LISS cardio)
Day4 -Chest/Bis - 15min LISS cardio
Day5 -Legs
Day 6- Off

Tris
You know your body and how much time to let it rest - I'm the same as I age I need more time off or can't do as many sets as I use to or I will just get injured. Pushing exercises like shoulder presses and bench use so much tricep as well which I know you know. Just FYI - your triceps look fine, your arms are in great condition. Your tricep workout looks good. Can you do dips? I can't right now but when I could I would strap plates to my waist and my triceps grew like crazy / more so than my lower chest. I suspect it was my positioning but I love that movement.
Skull crushers and dips are my favourite tricep exercises and close grip chins are my favourite bicep exercise even though it known as a back exercise. Maybe someone else will chime in with a different movement. If I'm counting correct, you are doing 20 plus sets for your triceps - obviously your growing so something is working but that is a lot for a guy who isn't on a lot of gear. I could see doing that for legs, chest, back but at my age that is too much. If I was loaded up with gear - sure but you and I are very similar in using smaller amounts.
I would do more skull crushers but I say that simply because it is the best exercise for my triceps to grow, you may be different.
Not sure if I helped.

LesPaul

Super Heavyweight
Can you do dips?
Can't dip. Pretty limited on pressing. Close grips with a easy bar is ok. For the most part my elbows are pretty healthy. I'm going to add another tricep workout on the end of legs for 3x week and see what happens. I just want a little more girth on the bottom of the arm to round out the little 8 ball on top. I'm eating over maintence so calories shouldn't be a issue. I'll take a look at the vid that @Testbear posted also. lol
Thanks for your kind words and suggestions.

Zbignew

Super Heavyweight
What's given me the most tricep growth is overhead french presses. Aka: skullcrushers, only do them overhead, standing up.

The key is to get a deep stretch at the bottom position. And don't go crazy heavy: spare your elbows and pick a moderate weight for a shitload of sets and reps. Really work it until your triceps are so pumped you feel like the skin will split.

Lex

Heavyweight
nice vascularity, I thought I had veins but thats just impressive. My favorite tricep workout are dips btw, can add some weight if you are finding it too easy.

EDIT: damn just read you cant do dips, injury?

then my second favorite are skullcrushers

Zuespas

Seasoned VET
What are you currently doing?

I feel like that much volume may be counter productive. You may need to have more intense tricep workout or better exercise choices. Are you ensuring you’re progressing through some means of progressive overload? I couldn’t hit tris 3 times a week. My elbows would explode to put them through that much.

LesPaul

Super Heavyweight
What are you currently doing?

I feel like that much volume may be counter productive. You may need to have more intense tricep workout or better exercise choices. Are you ensuring you’re progressing through some means of progressive overload? I couldn’t hit tris 3 times a week. My elbows would explode to put them through that much.

You may be right on the volume? I do train them hard. They always get a skin splitting pump. Never sore then next day anymore thou.

LesPaul

Super Heavyweight
nice vascularity, I thought I had veins but thats just impressive. My favorite tricep workout are dips btw, can add some weight if you are finding it too easy.

EDIT: damn just read you cant do dips, injury?

then my second favorite are skullcrushers
Thanks @Lex. I don't know how they show up. I swear when I started out 4 years ago I had none. Every few months more seem to pop out. I have one coming out in my upper chest. Only on one side. lol Maybe genetics?

Yeah no dips. I have old man shoulders. Arthritis is both AC joints. Recovered from a supra tear. Just shit ROM all round and daily low grade pain. I only have a handfull of pressing lifts I can use.

Lex

Heavyweight
Thanks @Lex. I don't know how they show up. I swear when I started out 4 years ago I had none. Every few months more seem to pop out. I have one coming out in my upper chest. Only on one side. lol Maybe genetics?

Yeah no dips. I have old man shoulders. Arthritis is both AC joints. Recovered from a supra tear. Just shit ROM all round and daily low grade pain. I only have a handfull of pressing lifts I can use.
its gotta be genetics Ive always been super vascular even as a teenager (was always self conscious about it) now that Ive put a bit of muscle on I like the veins lol, would love to get some on my biceps like that tho.

Damn I feel your pain with the shoulders, I havent worked them in such a long time Im actually a bit worried if I will have any long term damage when Im given the green light to start lifting again.

You may be right on the volume? I do train them hard. They always get a skin splitting pump. Never sore then next day anymore thou.
Thats a lot of volume for a small muscle. Pick 2-3 of those exercises and go harder on the work sets. 4-5 sets of each for 2-3 exercises but make them harder. Either slow it down so you have more time under tension or increase the weight so you work harder.

Zuespas

Seasoned VET

how about trying to do this.

close grip press on smith rest pause set of 23-30

dead stop skull crushers rest pause set of 25-30

straight bar push downs

ovh extension

for rest pause. You do three attempts with 45 seconds in between. Got for 15 at failure then 45 sec then you’ll prob get half that day 8 then 45 second rest then go again for a final attempt. T

rated_rko

Super Heavyweight
looking solid, i am away from the db skull crushers now. love close grip bench

Testbear

Super Heavyweight