What's new

Olympic Weightlifting

Cumminstech2

Super Heavyweight
I don’t care how much I lift, as long as I look like I lift a lot 🤷‍♂️

I am trying pretty hard for a new max bench PR though, but once I hit that then I will go back to not caring again hahaha

3ml

VET
I don’t care how much I lift, as long as I look like I lift a lot 🤷‍♂️

I am trying pretty hard for a new max bench PR though, but once I hit that then I will go back to not caring again hahaha

I bounce back and forth between powerlifting and BB styled of training and diet
I get bored easily.
Usually about half way through a cut I want to bulk and vice versa

I’ve played around with some strongman stuff which is fun, thinking olympic style might be fun for a few months

Jestopherson

Juicy Junior
I bounce back and forth between powerlifting and BB styled of training and diet
I get bored easily.
Usually about half way through a cut I want to bulk and vice versa

I’ve played around with some strongman stuff which is fun, thinking olympic style might be fun for a few months
If you do decide to give it a shot. Look up clarence Kennedy on YouTube. One strong motherfucker that does all Olympic lifting

Rucker

Super Heavyweight
Anyone on here compete in it? Done it?
Im thinking of giving it a whirl to try something new
I do power cleans as a supplemental and on some off days. I also occasionally do muscle snatches for variety. Oly lifting is one of the many things I'm bad at.

CurtisP

VET
A good friend of mine did powerlifting for years. Competed, took multiple firsts/seconds over the years for his weight category. And especially being natural he was pretty gifted. He recently switched up to Olympic style lifting during lockdown, due to only having half the amount of weight he normally trains with at home.
He really likes it and is going to continue it

durk

Super Heavyweight
I have always been too afraid. Seems like something I personally would need a good coach for. If there was one in the area I’d maybe give it a go. A lot of people seem to do it wrong especially CrossFiters.

You seem like a fairly experienced guy, so if you think you can get a solid plan together than why not.

3ml

VET
A good friend of mine did powerlifting for years. Competed, took multiple firsts/seconds over the years for his weight category. And especially being natural he was pretty gifted. He recently switched up to Olympic style lifting during lockdown, due to only having half the amount of weight he normally trains with at home.
He really likes it and is going to continue it

Awedome

3ml

VET
I have always been too afraid. Seems like something I personally would need a good coach for. If there was one in the area I’d maybe give it a go. A lot of people seem to do it wrong especially CrossFiters.

You seem like a fairly experienced guy, so if you think you can get a solid plan together than why not.

Well my new massage broad has a nice private gym and coaches it, she’s competed for a long time

I would never try it on my own id probably hurt myslef lol

Daway

In before the lock
Let me know how it goes. I tried C&J a few times and was really hooked but as weight gets heavier my elbow screams in agony on the catch. :-(

Personally I think oly lifting is awesome

durk

Super Heavyweight
Well my new massage broad has a nice private gym and coaches it, she’s competed for a long time

you really want to Oly lift, or just spend more time with massage broad lmao

methodair

RIP - Brother in Iron
VET

That sounds like a great excuse to try it...some nice eye candy if nothing else. It's not something I will try, takes a lot of time and skill which I'm not prepared to invest in.

Slug

Rookie
I just started a little Olympic program. It’s a different type of animal for sure. The snatch work is pretty technical once you peel it back. Love the explosive lifts to get under the bar.

:thread necro : /

Reactions: 3ml

Chillygoat

Rookie
Anyone on here compete in it? Done it?
Im thinking of giving it a whirl to try something new
If you're interested in checking it out Oleksiy Torokhtiy has some really good training pdfs as well as a YouTube channel for learning weightlifting basics and programming. Good info there. Olympic medalist as well if I'm not mistaken.

Blown&Injected

Super Heavyweight
I've been olympic lifting for about ten years now. Its what i do. I've been exclusive for about the past five years, and only mixed in the powerlifting the years before that because its pretty near impossible to properly Olympic lift without a platform, good oly bar, and bumpers, AND a gym you can make LOTS of noise in. I'm also an Olympic coach, a FAR better coach than lifter i'm afraid. I spent FAAAAAR too many years powerlifting, and i mean hell-fucking bent on world-fucking domination powerlifting... and while yeah... i got pretty god damn strong doing that, it COMPLETELY... UTTERLY... fucked me for Olympic weightlifting. Let me tell you right now... a 1800lb raw total, (using a true ATG Olympic squat and Olympic-style clean deadlift) isn't worth a sliver of a fuck for Olympic lifting if you cant move properly.

So...

First off. GET A COACH. This is 2021. The online resources for finding a club, or at minimum, a competent coach, are endless. You might not find a well-coached/equipped club within driving distance, but someone can help you do something. Without help? You're fucked. I'm serious. Dont even start. The ones that say you can? Those are the ones you want to run away from. I'll go so far as to say get a GOOD coach (there aren't many, and likely not anywhere near you), or dont bother... as you're ONLY as good as your coach... but sadly, thats unrealistic. Online coaching is a sad sad surrogate... but it might be better than nothing. Best bet? Find a good Oly club and join it now.

Second. See first.

Third. If you want to do this, then DO THIS. Dont dabble. Dont 'throw it in' with your other training. Dont 'give it a couple months'. This is like a traditional martial art... you know, those old Japanese movie stand in the cold, sheeting rain for seven days while the sensei comes out and whacks you with the bamboo rod to scare you off martial arts? Olympic weightlifting is the baddest fucking discipline associated with a gym or barbell. The elites of this sport transcend humanity. Quite simply: they are not human. You cant be them. If you're posting here/reading this, its already too late... as it was for me... but you can definitely become a true badass... and stronger/tougher than anyone you know could fathom. But you have to drop what you're doing and COMMIT. Sensei dont want no dabblers...

Finally (and i'll stop here... i could go on and on...). Stretch. Even serious, or 'career' (read: North American) lifters dont stretch enough. Unless you're Bruce Lee, or a 6 year old Chinese girl, you need better mobility. My god Jim... especially if you're a bodybuilder. This was my problem, early on. I stretched 30-45 minutes a day, because i had to to even get under a bar. I thought that excessive, and more than enough. I mean come on... a fucking HOUR almost... before i start lifting. It was not enough. Fast forward ten years, down 25lbs, and more hours spent stretching than a 10yr yogi has put in... and i'm STILL not bendy enough. I stretch for 60-75 minutes a day now, every day, and i'm still fighting my own body to hit positions right. There is a wealth of info on how to stretch online. Too much in fact.

Bonus point. Be very... VERY... VERY careful... who you watch online. A million internet experts, and many of them come with all sorts of wonderful accreditation. Oh MY they look qualified! I will not let my lifters even watch North American lifters... i dont care how good they are getting lately. And only certain International names are allowed. Some of the most aggressively marketed names in the sport, and many with incredible pedigrees... World golds... Olympic golds... 7 million IG hits... are NOT lifters you want to be trying to emulate. You want to watch the technicians, the perfectionists, the ones that come from poor, miserable, communist countries... AND... the ones built like YOU. Not Xiaojun Lu. Many potential lifters have ruined themselves trying to be a Klokov, or an Ilyin, or a Dimas... when these were the last lifters anyone should be watching to learn form. This is important.

I'm a traditional coach, pretty much a Russian style, and we run the place like a traditional MA dojo. I dont expect anyone else to be this passionate about it, but i can save you years of grief, even pain. This is the coolest thing you can do in a gym, i promise you, its worth taking seriously. But... its also a lot like golf. Man... if you are serious... you'd better have a serious streak of patience. Because an Olympic snatch or C&J is like a golf swing... you can never practice it enough. It can never be perfect enough. And even Tiger Woods can fuck up a 30 yard chip with $20000000 on the line.

If i can help you, just ask. I live this shit.

Top Bottom