What's new

Passion for gym dying with covid?

Aquemini88

Lightweight
Hey, was just curious if any of you are feeling the same way.
This is the first time since I started lifting that I don’t feel the drive to go workout. I still train and am consistent but being this long without a commercial gym I feel my passion dwindling. I feel like this pandemic bullshit threw off my groove.

Can you guys relate?

skarpyona

Heavyweight
I have a home gym, so I'm completely unphased and disconnected from the struggles my brothers in iron face right now with the plandemic.

I find it cyclical. I have periods of great motivation, gains, and determination, where everything is going right, no nagging injury flare-ups, consistent progress.

What goes up does come down. I'm in a bit of a downer these days. I have a heavy workload averaging 90 hours a week. I have a family to take care of, when I set foot into my gym, the tank is already empty. I still go through with it though, because I love it. It's stress relief, and I'm slowly chiseling away at the physique I want. I know better days are just around the corner.

The same way better days are just around for all my brothers in iron here. Keep strong.

Last edited:

Aquemini88

Lightweight
I have a home gym, so I'm completely unphased and disconnected from the struggles my brothers in iron face right now with the plandemic.

I find it cyclical. I have periods of great motivation, gains, and determination, where everything is going right, no nagging injury flare-ups, consistent progress.

What goes up does come down. I'm in a bit of a downer these days. I have a heavy workload averaging 90 hours a week. I have a family to take care of, when I set foot into my gym, the tank is already empty. I still go through with it though, because I love it. It's stress relief, and I'm slowly chiseling away at the physique I want. I know better days are just around the corner.

The same way better days are just around for all my brothers in iron here. Keep strong.
Appreciate this bro thank you

Affliction79

Seasoned VET
I was just chatting today with my brother in iron @SmashingMachine it sucks balls that the gyms are closed, but right around the last time they did here I found this kneesovertoesguy that mark bell trains with. I’ve been spending the last month bulletproofing my back knees and ankles and realizing how weak I really am. All this means now is when the commies allow the gyms to open back up I’ll be smashing out some squat and dead lift prs.
For example you may think you’re one strong guy, but try doing 3 sets of 12 split squats with 50 lb dumbbells in each hand with strict form and full range of motion. When you start you’ll be shocked as to how to stiff and weak that your knees and ankles really are.
I guess my advice is find something unorthodox that will work for you.

Hussell

Super Heavyweight
I'm getting my workouts in but they aren't anywhere as good as they would be with my local gym due to lack of equipment, am I losing motivation no but I have spurts for sure that I struggle to get through it I also don't have much of a social life and the gym covers that for me just being around people even though I don't talk to anyone if that makes sense.

kaly11

Super Heavyweight
I have been extremely blessed since the first " lockdown" where I have had access to 2 fitness facilties during the entire time. ( I work at one which a buddy owns and also another good bud own another ) where I have continued and will continue to get regular workouts in until this whole thing blows over ( whenever the fuck that will be ) so there are no issues - that gives me motivation to keep going and get the workouts in because so many individuals dont have this privilege which I do.

I have some odd days I don't really want to but once i start I am good. I can't go without training, been doing it since I was 12 years old, I am now 46, and only missed time when I required surgery or couldnt get out of bed. If I miss a day I get in a slump mentally, I need this shit. To me training is needed plain and simple so I do it no matter what. I have had a home gym since 2003 so I am use to motivating myself, I don't need a training partner. I love to get stronger so that is my drive and push and always will be. THey are going to have to drag me off the powerlifting platform for me to quit.

Harley00

The Rebel
Im bringing the gym to my basement little by little, just picked up 3 new pieces to add, body solid pec deck and a body solid lat/trap machine and a assault air bike to be honest the only thing i do not have is a leg press , but coming soon,

i havent been more exciting about workouts then i am now building your own gym feels like an accomplishment . Having what you want, no waits etc.
Fuck covid

Even out west at work , iv got an arsenal of bands and some adjustable weights, got a little bench from crappy tire , and i throw 6 of my invoice books under it for my incline lol just make shit work with what you have.

Goldenrod

VET
Much like @Affliction79, @CurtisP, @Harley00 and others - slowly buying different equipment for home like bands. I have free weights but am surprised how different a new system feels and the different muscles you hit. It isn't the same as the gym but you can get a work out in and it helps with stress.
Find something you like doing. Affy's ideas about working on weak points makes perfect sense. I do squats with bands and holding my adjustable dumbbells, slowly with proper form and higher reps. It isn't the same as a bar on my back but I am sore the next day and in different areas from a standard squat. Long story short - try to find something you like doing and keep going.
I follow what your saying but I will never stop training unless my body won't let me.

irongame66

Heavyweight
I've been a home gym trainer my entire training life (42 years) but of course would have a gym membership on occasion to change things up.
With all the modern-day douche-bags running around gyms these days I doubt Ill ever go back to one.

Double D

Seasoned VET
I've been taking more days off.. but once I'm in a groove I'm good to go.

All I'm missing now is a leg press and cable machine and I would have everything I regularly use at a gym. The pandemic has made me realize I don't need a gym to get a good workout.. its been a blessing in disguise. I spend much more time doing cardio outside, and my workouts have been much harder and better.
The only thing I miss from the gym are the ladies..

HungryMfkr

Super Heavyweight
Starting training at around 16 years old, it always had a important place in my life. Results vary with being often months away. But always come back to discipline and consistency when it is possible.

At the time of the first lockdown I questionned myself, (was bulking) why I'm I putting myself through all of this. Would all this work and effort would be better off on something else. I took 2-3 weeks off, realise I was somewhat tire of eating and with equipment I have bulking wasn't the optimal thing to do. So kicked my ass and for the 6 following months took my health seriously underwent a cutting phase all the while utilising what I had and unconventional training. Met with some friends down the line and realise I was in all around in good freaking shape. Actually one of the lightest but best shape I had.

On the most recent lockdown, I let this fuckery annihilate my progress and underwent on a 4-5 weeks of more or less destructive behavior. Eating like shit smoking, drinking, no training. Home gym is basically dumbells and at a point it's hard to go around some injuries. I manage to worsten a forearm so "total rest" was I believe my only option. Either way took the decision yesterday to go back on the right track and focus on things I can change instead of being pissed and/or depressed.

I've been contemplating some smith machines with cables stations. It's not a benign investment versus the price of a yearly gym subscribtion but I hate being at the mercy of someone else decision...

When I enter the gym i'm going to war and I leave everything there. When I get out i'm tanked and feel great. At home the drive isn't the same but I manage to beat myself up. I doubt gyms will survive this, in Qc econofitness are subsidy by the government maybe will they be the only ones left, couple already dropped the towel...

Ultimately training is somewhat my therapy. If I don't train I break both physically and then mental follows. I'm like an old rusty train if it's going it's hard to stop, when it is stopped it's hard to start.

So yes motivation had multiple hits but in order to conquering it back you got to implement habits. Habits that are enjoyable, so the plan is to go back to 1 muscle group per day chasing the pump then rebuilding diet and training accordingly with goals.