What's new

Pet Nutrition Section ?

HungryMfkr

Super Heavyweight
Do you guys have any recommendations for raws? Weve been using naturawls but I've noticed she has a bit of mucus in her stool.

This is a shot of what her meals generally look like. 2 of these a day.

1-1.5 cups of kibble. 3 heaping tablespoons of raw. A handful of zucchini or carrots and some sort of berries. She loves honey. May look into if a small serving of that could be beneficial as well
I'm not much into fancyness dogs are carnivores. Her plate looks great but i doubt a wolf would crack a smile on his face eating zucchinies, strawberries and honey. Try and split everything in different plate to see if she don't eat something. Some dog are just pigs other got more restrein. Age also plays a role a 10 years old dog who ate kibbles all his life might be harder to convert.

I don't know that brand but what i use got crushed bones in it. The only times he gets mucus in his stool is when I give him pig legs, he breaks it and eats it all , when I see a piece lying i throw it away so he's not hurting himself. Normally meat protects from sharp edges never feed cooked bones.

As i stated for someone else try with rice the first 2-3 days for his/her stomach get used to raw. Stool will reduce in size and smell, fur will get better, some even claim a nice change in behavior

Jestopherson

Super Heavyweight
I'm not much into fancyness dogs are carnivores. Her plate looks great but i doubt a wolf would crack a smile on his face eating zucchinies, strawberries and honey. Try and split everything in different plate to see if she don't eat something. Some dog are just pigs other got more restrein. Age also plays a role a 10 years old dog who ate kibbles all his life might be harder to convert.

I don't know that brand but what i use got crushed bones in it. The only times he gets mucus in his stool is when I give him pig legs, he breaks it and eats it all , when I see a piece lying i throw it away so he's not hurting himself. Normally meat protects from sharp edges never feed cooked bones.

As i stated for someone else try with rice the first 2-3 days for his/her stomach get used to raw. Stool will reduce in size and smell, fur will get better, some even claim a nice change in behavior
Oh she'll eat the veggies and fruit out of my hand. One of her favorites is fresh carrots from the garden. Her preferences are zucchini, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon. Will kill for eggs. I often give her veggies when I'm cooking as long as theres no cross contamination with garlic/onions. We often use fruit as a replacement for treats. She doesn't get bones because theres reports of it causing tooth damage. But she does get dried esophagus. Usually finishes it before we leave the pet store 🤣

HungryMfkr

Super Heavyweight
Oh she'll eat the veggies and fruit out of my hand. One of her favorites is fresh carrots from the garden. Her preferences are zucchini, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon. Will kill for eggs. I often give her veggies when I'm cooking as long as theres no cross contamination with garlic/onions. We often use fruit as a replacement for treats. She doesn't get bones because theres reports of it causing tooth damage. But she does get dried esophagus. Usually finishes it before we leave the pet store 🤣
Yeah my boy got a labrador girlfriend, when she comes home anything laying around disapear, she'll eat 3 pounds of frozen meat in a heartbeat and the big goof just look at her and doesn't care. If the cat (who doesn't give a rats ass about his meat) just comes by he'll charge him like a train pissed as hell go figure 🤷‍♂️

Deadmouse

Super Heavyweight
I'm no vet so i hope I'm fucking wrong..

one of my danes that we put down last october, we believe had some type of cancer in its digestive system. he was ok for a while then he started losing weight, then some days he wasn't hungry. his energy levels never changed. near the end what was the biggest indicator was he lost lots of weight quickly, like 10lbs in a week.

I think the best thing we can do is spoil them, bring them for walks and go at their pace. let them explore and have fun. and give them lots of healthy treats. cook him some nice chicken or steak etc..
It's the exact same thing with our boy.

I talked to a couple local people that experienced the same thing.

It made me cry when i realized he had not a lot of time left with us...

Goldenrod

VET
A pet section is a really good idea !!

We have some issues with one of our dog... doesn't want to eat anymore and has some blood in it's excrements. He also drinks a shit ton of water. Took a blood test, everything was alright.

Vet told us it was signs of cancer somewhere in his digestive system.

It's weird because our boy still has a lot of energy just like he was healthy.
Needs an abdominal ultrasound. They will recommend a ct scan often but ultrasounds are cheaper and can pick up on lots of anomalies.
Vets will prescribe remeron for dogs that won't eat and it works. Drinking a lot of water can be a sign of cushing's disease or an issue with the kidneys and lots of less serious issues.

It can also be their food. Dogs gets allergies, imagine eating the same thing everyday for your entire life, a recipe for allergies.

Goldenrod

VET
same for me, RAW only for my lovely boy ; Teck/ American staffy .
we have staffy in our class that was going to be put down because it was aggressive, 6 months or rehab work with the dog and it now visits seniors homes and is a therapy dog (obviously not right now with F'n covid). Pumpkin is her name and she is adorable. I love that breed.

Goldenrod

VET
I've got a Caucasian Ochvarka and I feed him raw. Those claiming 2-300$ monthly fees for feeding raw aren't buying at the right places, go to a meat farm don't go to a pet shop buying overpriced patty.

I get 25 pieces of 1.5 lbs of mixed beef and chicken for about 25$ depending on how fancy you want to go (fish, chicken, rabbit, whole veggies and stuff)

If he gets his exercise he eats 3 pounds a day, in peak growth he was at 4.5 a day.

I got rabbits so I give him carcasses here and then.
If you find the right butcher, they will often give the meat they don't want for free and I'm not talking about meat that is diseased or has anything wrong with it. Just parts humans in NA don't eat much of but dogs would if they were in the wild.

Goldenrod

VET
I haven't had much luck with raw, seemed to give both my dogs diarrhea, tried different suppliers. introduced real slowly etc... they seem to be ok for abit then it turns into mucus diarrhea. so i decided to make a stew with beef, celery, sweet potatoes, carrot, rice. majority of it is beef. the cooked food seems to work great.
Hey @Double D - I had similar problems with one of my dogs so I boil hamburger sometimes. Gets most of the fat out and I give them a cup with their regular food, veggies, and fruit. It is very hard on a digestive tract if you change their diet. It has to be done so slowly for some dogs. My Bouv has a very sensitive stomach and have to introduce food very slowly.

Goldenrod

VET
dogs are scavengers and eat apples, carrots, fruit and veggies and whatever they find. Meat is their main source but my dogs will eat veggies and apples/clementines before they touch their Orijin or meat. They love blueberries and strawberries. They both find wild patches in fields and stop to much.

A.B

Super Heavyweight
I’ll be the Debby downer

if the forum would last Beyond a few months I’d be surprised. Dog owner here but I’ve just seen so many forums have too many sections that end up post less for years. Prove me wrong lol

Testbear

Super Heavyweight
I don’t even have a dog yet because the responsibility and time commitment to give him what he needs would be too much right now. But I’ve been looking into dog food lately out of pure interest. I’d definitely go raw, a girl I’m seeing does raw food for her dog. Also not neutered so has the test flowing through him freely. Happy little bugger. I think keep it natural is best, good raw meat with a good mix of organs. Still undecided if the carrots/greenA mixed into it is a good option.
All I know is the most physically impressive dog I’ve seen was a Great Dane on a chicken/rice/pea/carrot diet. 185 pounds ripped striations and veins running through the chest and all the heads of the deltoids pronounced 🤷‍♂️ I think the dry food is a disservice to your dog. Frickin thing liked sitting on the couch like a human ass up on the couch and legs on the floor since it was so long. All I could think of was how badly I did not want to put my face down on that seat while watching a movie lmao.

Goldenrod

VET
I don’t even have a dog yet because the responsibility and time commitment to give him what he needs would be too much right now. But I’ve been looking into dog food lately out of pure interest. I’d definitely go raw, a girl I’m seeing does raw food for her dog. Also not neutered so has the test flowing through him freely. Happy little bugger. I think keep it natural is best, good raw meat with a good mix of organs. Still undecided if the carrots/greenA mixed into it is a good option.
All I know is the most physically impressive dog I’ve seen was a Great Dane on a chicken/rice/pea/carrot diet. 185 pounds ripped striations and veins running through the chest and all the heads of the deltoids pronounced 🤷‍♂️ I think the dry food is a disservice to your dog. Frickin thing liked sitting on the couch like a human ass up on the couch and legs on the floor since it was so long. All I could think of was how badly I did not want to put my face down on that seat while watching a movie lmao.
Hi @Testbear - there are a few great Danes in our weekly class and they are a wonderful deterrent but are not good protection dogs. They just don't seem to have the temperament but they are impressive. They also have a hard time taking a person down because of their long legs.
There is a Mastiffe/St. Bernard in our class that weighs well over 200 and makes my large breed look like a puppy.

I suspect raw is best too but you have to be diligent with parasite control if you go raw. I'm repeating myself but dogs eat whatever is available and they absolutely need vegetables and some fruit. My mongrels eat apples when they call off the trees, eat wild berries when they find a patch, and will happily raid a garden and eat beans or almost any veg they can find.
They are carnivores and meat is their main staple but they need the cruciferous veggies to control hormone related cancers and diseases. Even the broccoli stock if you don't eat it or a few brussel sprouts in their bowl.
Good for you knowing it isn't time to get a dog yet. Too many people buy dogs with emotion and then won't put the work in and end up with a dog that attacks other dogs or people. A dog is a 10-20 year commitment and requires your time. If you can't give the time or afford the vet bills that may arise, buy a statue.

Last edited:

HungryMfkr

Super Heavyweight
Hi @Testbear - there are a few great Danes in our weekly class and they are a wonderful deterrent but are not good protection dogs. They just don't seem to have the temperament but they are impressive. They also have a hard time taking a person down because of their long legs.
There is a Mastiffe/St. Bernard in our class that weighs well over 200 and makes my large breed like a puppy.

I suspect raw is best too but you have to be diligent with parasite control if you go raw. I'm repeating myself but dogs eat whatever is available and they absolutely need vegetables and some fruit. My mongrels eat apples when they call off the trees, eat wild berries when they find a patch, and will happily raid a garden and eat beans or almost any veg they can find.
They are carnivores and meat is their main staple but they need the cruciferous veggies to control hormone related cancers and diseases. Even the broccoli stock if you don't eat it or a few brussel sprouts in their bowl.
Good for you knowing it isn't time to get a dog yet. Too many people buy dogs with emotion and then won't put the work in and end up with a dog that attacks other dogs or people. A dog is a 10-20 year commitment and requires your time. If you can't give the time or afford the vet bills that may arise, buy a statue.
I had a neighbor with a great dane, he litterally ate his miata out of boredom 🤣

Bembry

Rookie
Each and every nutrient in your dog’s food has a purpose. Without adequate nutrition, your dog would not be able to maintain muscle tone, build and repair muscles, teeth, and bone, perform normal daily activities with ease or fight-off infection. Proteins provide a source of energy and help with muscle function and growth. Fats provide energy, help the brain function, and keep the skin and hair coat shiny and healthy. Carbohydrates supply a source of quick energy that allow your dog to be active and energetic. Vitamins and minerals are necessary for muscle contraction and nerve conduction and they work to prevent disease.

Goldenrod

VET
Each and every nutrient in your dog’s food has a purpose. Without adequate nutrition, your dog would not be able to maintain muscle tone, build and repair muscles, teeth, and bone, perform normal daily activities with ease or fight-off infection. Proteins provide a source of energy and help with muscle function and growth. Fats provide energy, help the brain function, and keep the skin and hair coat shiny and healthy. Carbohydrates supply a source of quick energy that allow your dog to be active and energetic. Vitamins and minerals are necessary for muscle contraction and nerve conduction and they work to prevent disease.
OK, so you are an advocate of feeding commercially made dry dog kibble? Is that the moral of your paragraph. I appreciate the info on what each macro does but what are you saying?
thanks,
GR

Double D

Seasoned VET
sounds like the speech I got from my vet that dry kibble is the only thing i should feed my puppy, apparently Hill's Science Diet is the best food. Ironically its the same food the vet sales. :rolleyes: .. apparently it was formulated to have all the nutrients a puppy requires. and the stew i make for my dogs with organic and grass fed beef is garbage, and doesn't have enough nutrient for my dog lol

Double D

Seasoned VET
when are we launching this new section?. I have one good idea in 10 years of being here. lol

millenium girl

CJM’s GROUPIE
sounds like the speech I got from my vet that dry kibble is the only thing i should feed my puppy, apparently Hill's Science Diet is the best food. Ironically its the same food the vet sales. :rolleyes: .. apparently it was formulated to have all the nutrients a puppy requires. and the stew i make for my dogs with organic and grass fed beef is garbage, and doesn't have enough nutrient for my dog lol
Hill’s is not the best, they only do everything they can to let you believe they are. I work with vets on a daily base because the rescue I’m a volunteer at has lots of sick cats.

Goldenrod

VET
Ya, they will tell you that at the vets and push their Hills which is forumlated to fix every possible issue they could have or so they say. Fat dog, feed them slim or maybe just don't feed your dog as much the dumb fuckers. If we can live on meat, fruit and vegetables I'm sure a dog can too and be a hell of a lot more healthy. Good for you for making your own food!