What's new

Post contest anabolic window

Flex86

Rookie
Hey guys,

Curious as to who has competed and your thoughts on the, "post contest anabolic window". I typically train for an additional 4 weeks post contest as insulin levels are at an all time high and the most anabolic hormone. I've read that some ppl have experienced 5-10lbs of muscle growth in 4-5 weeks post contest. Ive currently increased my carbs by 100-130g from my prep and increased my fats by 15g. Curious as to some of the routines and results some have you attained.

PacMan

Vet
I would increase every thing a lot more. Try for 7 meals / day and a shake in middle of the night.

- PacMan

Hey guys,

Curious as to who has competed and your thoughts on the, "post contest anabolic window". I typically train for an additional 4 weeks post contest as insulin levels are at an all time high and the most anabolic hormone. I've read that some ppl have experienced 5-10lbs of muscle growth in 4-5 weeks post contest. Ive currently increased my carbs by 100-130g from my prep and increased my fats by 15g. Curious as to some of the routines and results some have you attained.
What does that mean, train for an additional 4 weeks? Then what? Stop training? Increase food from contest prep by a couple of saltine crackers and an almond or two? And think you might could grow that much? Bullshit. Insulin levels at an all time high? Nah. Most anabolic? Don't think so, although it enhances growth, to be sure. This post doesn't pass the smell test.

Flex86

Rookie
What does that mean, train for an additional 4 weeks? Then what? Stop training? Increase food from contest prep by a couple of saltine crackers and an almond or two? And think you might could grow that much? Bullshit. Insulin levels at an all time high? Nah. Most anabolic? Don't think so, although it enhances growth, to be sure. This post doesn't pass the smell test.
I asked what ppls opinions and thoughts were that competed. No need to be a dick. Dont like the post or dont agree thats cool.

Last edited:
I asked what ppls opinions and thoughts were that competed. No need to be a dick. Dont like the post or dont agree thats cool.
This post doesn't pass the smell test either. Expect this around here when you post stuff that indicate an obvious lack of experience if not outright flight of fantasy.
Seriously... You have done a show and expect to take advantage of an anabolic window by eating 500-600 cals over contest prep? Just not realistic, unless you are maybe 3'11" and weigh 81 lbs.
Is there an anabolic window? Yes, of sorts, but you are still mostly refilling depleted muscle for the most part, Not gaining much new growth, if any. I really don't think insulin is going to be that high either... if so, it's due to slamming more carbs/sugar. Way more than you suggest. As for which hormone is most anabolic, that can vary. We don't all respond the same and our natural, unsupplemented level have a lot to do with that.
And yes, I have competed. Quite a few times.

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Here is an answer to almost the exact same question from a nutritionist on another board, I can't substantiate his opinion but I mostly agree with it:

MRZ said:
Its actually the complete opposite, your body is in 100% fat storage mode. Throughout the entire prep your body has been making constant hormonal adaptations to prime you up to store fat - that's why competitors commonly go up 3-5%bf within days/weeks of a contest.
I will add that there is a certain bf% range where muscle gains seems to be more optimal due to better nutrient partitioning, insulin sensitivity, etc - but this is more 10-12%, not 4-6%.
Its commonly acknowledged that to maintain that level of conditioning your going to have to accept that any future muscle gains will be painfully slow.

(...) its very true for naturals, to a lesser extent for enhanced competitors.
Literally all of your hormones have crashed into the ground - IGF1, insulin, test, gh, thyroid, appetite is sky high, fatigue is sky high, cortisol is high, etc. No matter how you look at it, this is NOT a healthy environment to be in.

dc7

Rookie
The "post show window" is a bad excuse many guys make to binge. Yes insulin sensitivity is high, so you may be able use this to your advantage, but You are also extremely prone to putting on stupid amounts of fat. Reverse diet slowly and intelligently. Can't even count how many guys I see turn into bloated slobs in a matter of weeks after a show because they eat their faces off to take advantage of the "anabolic post show rebound". Diet your ass off for 12-16 weeks to look amazing and then piss it all away in a couple weeks and rebound with 30 pounds of water and other shit weight is not my idea of smart. Your metabolism is slower from running a caloric deficit for months, your insulin sensitivity is high, most guys sacrifice their entire 3-4 months worth of work in weeks just to maybe add a few pounds of lean tissue. Not worth it imo. It's crazy to see some of my friends I competed at provincials with go from 5% body fat to having distended blurry bloated stomachs and moon faces within weeks

Last edited:

JonnyO

Super Moderator
You need to be very careful post contest, many guys think its cool to blow up right after a contest but its unhealthy and a good way to get fat. Sure you hold it well for a month or so but it will turn to slop eventually.

I have my protocol for guys and its pretty much identical to this article right here...Enjoy....

How to Come Off a Pre-Contest Bodybuilding Diet | FLEX Online

I refer all my guys to this after their shows are done, they maintain condition for as long as they want and its very easy to do, just takes discipline.