What's new

Question about coaches

Thread starter #1
Hey everyone! Just wondering if the majority of competitors (females) in non tested competitions have a coach that recommends them enhancements? Right now I am in the midst of deciding if I should let go my coach, he's one of the top natural bodybuilders and I have been dying to work with him for the longest time.. But now that I have decided to compete unnaturally (running an anavar cycle at the moment) I don't know what to do. Look for a new coach that has been on gear or stick with my current coach? I mean this natural guy does my favourite iifym settings, has great programming (gone from 130 bench to 145 already when I stalled for a year) and does posing practice with me, his student rates are also killer ($35/week), and lots of people claim he isn't natural but he is haha only competes in hardcore tested associations in the US along with NattyProfessor, Revelia, Alberts and other folks alike.

Advice and own experiences?

Last edited:
I could write a novel on why I don't believe in natural bodybuilding. A good coach should give you AAS advice when coaching. One i can recommend is a moderator here JonnyO. He brought my wife into her new jersey npc show where she won novice took 3rd in open and got a national qualification. He's an excellent contest prep coach and if he is willing and has time to take you on I highly recommend him. If you're willing to spend the money another one that is doing extremely well with his female competitors is Shelby Starnes, but he is gonna cost you far more than a monthly payment on a new car.

Put you're ear to the ground in the competitive scene and keep your eyes on who's coaching who. Also ask the coach questions and make sure you're getting what you're looking for.

Thread starter #3
I just really do not want to be locked into the stereotypical coach styles of training where they are kind of brosciency.. Not really making macro adjustments, but giving you meal plans/clean foods vs bad foods which is complete bs but apparently so many people still follow their coaches' approach like that. Along with the fact that I have heard these coaches like to give women a zillion hours of cardio.. So I really wouldn't shell out the money for broscience coaches who have a bit of gear expertise you know? :/ I have gone my own experimentation of being sucked into "clean eating", " meal timing", and omg the endless amount of cardio LOL so definitely do not want to pay and step 1000 steps backwards.

Thanks for the heads up, I will message JonnyO and see what's up :) haha a broke student now so definitely won't shell out too much money for provincial shows yet.

Last edited:
I just really do not want to be locked into the stereotypical coach styles of training where they are kind of brosciency.. Not really making macro adjustments, but giving you meal plans/clean foods vs bad foods which is complete bs but apparently so many people still follow their coaches' approach like that. Along with the fact that I have heard these coaches like to give women a zillion hours of cardio.. So I really wouldn't shell out the money for broscience coaches who have a bit of gear expertise you know? :/ I have gone my own experimentation of being sucked into "clean eating", " meal timing", and omg the endless amount of cardio LOL so definitely do not want to pay and step 1000 steps backwards.

Thanks for the heads up, I will message JonnyO and see what's up :) haha a broke student now so definitely won't shell out too much money for provincial shows yet.
I used to believe in the iifym approach and after competing using both theories I do believe meal timing and food choices matter especially in contest prep.

I believe a good coach can combine old school what works and new theories. The ones that hold to one ideal or another seem to lack experience IMO.

When I doing natural bodybuilding I worked with a coach that goes by Dr Joe. He was a classic iifym guy but when it came to a few weeks out from show even he gave me set meal plans as then the timing and food choices mattered.

I suggest you keep an open mend when working with a coach who has a track record of athletes that win.

Thread starter #5
That's true I guess, sigh I just really want to break the myth that is continually passed around to all people, whether they compete or are the average person, that you don't need to be sucked into the broscience hypes, where people like Jeff Seid can go around saying eggs are carbs hahahahahahah. But yeah I suppose a coach's track record of top competitors speak more right!

prariefire

Registered
many coaches for females throughout canada....f*ck paying for shelby starnes and look around. U dont want science but proven athletes look at guys like adam headland( every girl he works with looks awesome), greg doucette has had more clients and has more knowledge then i will have in a life time, BLP(the most scientific and guy has proven every method he preaches), there are many coaches just look and talk to them about methods. If ur a powerbuilder like u say then gregg doucette would be to me ur best choice because thats his mentality.

Thread starter #7
Haha being on this board has actually made me want to disregard iifym... seems like a lot of these coaches are actually the real deal and I can be pretty lazy LOL, iifym coaches actually seem pretty lazy, I honestly have been maintaining for the longest time maybe due to tracking my macros and going over them a lot more than I should sigh. I just emailed Greg Doucette as well, stand up guy with fantastic prices, love that he is also a competitive powerlifter, thanks prariefire!

JonnyO

Super Moderator
If your looking for an IIFYM type diet Im not the one you want to work with, lol. I mean there are some exceptions but I find for most if you give them that option they take it way too literally and make poor choices.

Testbear

Registered
That's true I guess, sigh I just really want to break the myth that is continually passed around to all people, whether they compete or are the average person, that you don't need to be sucked into the broscience hypes, where people like Jeff Seid can go around saying eggs are carbs hahahahahahah. But yeah I suppose a coach's track record of top competitors speak more right!
since your such a fan of seids advices, i suggest you contact bigjuicedaddy bostin loyd team 3cc for your supplemental protocol :p (not cerial)

Thread starter #10
Haha no I hit my micro needs first, squeeze in "bad" stuff if I reaaaaaally want a donut, then sacrifice my other carb/fat sources e.g. replace eggs with egg whites, beans with spinach etc. But anyways thanks for letting me know JonnyO!

I followed Lobliner, Barthell, Ogus, even Ian and the whole IIFYM brigade of craziness for YEARS man... like YEARS... I was subbed to Matt Ogus when he had less than 500 subs etc... I've seem ALL of those guys' channels grow... Did the whole bodybuilding.com thing and all that... and yea... I've followed IIFYM.. and it DOES have it's place... but if you honestly and seriously want to prep... and have average joe genetics... My personal experience seems to fair better with a meal plan... or less calorie dense choices...

Just my experience... and I'm shitty and old... and have a fair amount of it... :)

IIFYM peppered here and there into an already solid diet with the cornerstone being GOOD micro nutrient dense foods isn't a horrible thing... but quite honesly.. near prep time, and etc... I want to hand that shit off to someone else to do for me... so I don't have to be thinking about how many grams of fat are in a donut, and then back filling or removing the fat cals, and carb cals etc...

Thread starter #12
I followed Lobliner, Barthell, Ogus, even Ian and the whole IIFYM brigade of craziness for YEARS man... like YEARS... I was subbed to Matt Ogus when he had less than 500 subs etc... I've seem ALL of those guys' channels grow... Did the whole bodybuilding.com thing and all that... and yea... I've followed IIFYM.. and it DOES have it's place... but if you honestly and seriously want to prep... and have average joe genetics... My personal experience seems to fair better with a meal plan... or less calorie dense choices...

Just my experience... and I'm shitty and old... and have a fair amount of it... :)

IIFYM peppered here and there into an already solid diet with the cornerstone being GOOD micro nutrient dense foods isn't a horrible thing... but quite honesly.. near prep time, and etc... I want to hand that shit off to someone else to do for me... so I don't have to be thinking about how many grams of fat are in a donut, and then back filling or removing the fat cals, and carb cals etc...
Oh wow I am exactly in the same position right now you were in haha I'm hardcore following the iifym-ers on YouTube, as well as some other's that have coaching services e.g. Denovo Nutrition, Inov8, ProPhysique, and of course Norton (the girls they have trained are still extremely shredded, but I've only seen IFBB Bikini so far coming from their side, and I know one natural Fitness IFBB Pro that trains at my hometown gym). Yeah it definitely is draining to think of your meals day in and day out based around the set macros, ah it's hard to drop now that I've been a long time follower of iifym competitors, but I guess there's a reason they stay in the natty leagues. Thanks for your personal experience on the two realms! :)

Oh wow I am exactly in the same position right now you were in haha I'm hardcore following the iifym-ers on YouTube, as well as some other's that have coaching services e.g. Denovo Nutrition, Inov8, ProPhysique, and of course Norton (the girls they have trained are still extremely shredded, but I've only seen IFBB Bikini so far coming from their side, and I know one natural Fitness IFBB Pro that trains at my hometown gym). Yeah it definitely is draining to think of your meals day in and day out based around the set macros, ah it's hard to drop now that I've been a long time follower of iifym competitors, but I guess there's a reason they stay in the natty leagues. Thanks for your personal experience on the two realms! :)
Yea... no sweat dude...

I really feel that bikini and figure gals should not use drugs to get in shape. The leanness required is not as crazy as bbing or physique.

If you want to use AAS, that is up to you. For coaches, I think the main criterion should be that they know that they are working FOR YOU. Here is a list of questions that I would check for potential coaches (or current one):

Does he/she ask about my goals?
Does the coach respond in a timely manner? Some coaches are hilarious. I've seen some respond in 18 hours. They aren't rockstars.
Does the coach have various methods of working? (is he ONLY a high carb guy?) This is a big red flad IMO. You want your coach to fit a program to YOU, not make YOU fit a program.

Also make sure you would get along with the person, even in email communications.

Here is an example:

I contacted a coach recently because I want someone to handle my training and diet while I concentrate on my business. I asked him how we worked and a few other questions. He responded by asking my email so he could send me an "info sheet". He sent me the sheet about 4 days later and it was a price sheet.

I asked him how he worked and he sent me a price sheet. Lol...

Thread starter #15
I really feel that bikini and figure gals should not use drugs to get in shape. The leanness required is not as crazy as bbing or physique.

If you want to use AAS, that is up to you. For coaches, I think the main criterion should be that they know that they are working FOR YOU. Here is a list of questions that I would check for potential coaches (or current one):

Does he/she ask about my goals?
Does the coach respond in a timely manner? Some coaches are hilarious. I've seen some respond in 18 hours. They aren't rockstars.
Does the coach have various methods of working? (is he ONLY a high carb guy?) This is a big red flad IMO. You want your coach to fit a program to YOU, not make YOU fit a program.

Also make sure you would get along with the person, even in email communications.

Here is an example:

I contacted a coach recently because I want someone to handle my training and diet while I concentrate on my business. I asked him how we worked and a few other questions. He responded by asking my email so he could send me an "info sheet". He sent me the sheet about 4 days later and it was a price sheet.

I asked him how he worked and he sent me a price sheet. Lol...

Haha that's hilarious, I had emailed a couple IFBB coaches and that's what the majority of them seemed to do, shoot off price lists and not reading much of what you got to say, hence why I don't like meal plan oriented coaches, sadly now I see that most coaches that run gear or offer gear advice are strict meal plan givers :(

Oh man, yeah the time it takes a coach to reply and how he/she responds is a HUGE factor - definitely something any competitor would appreciate as well as their coach actually wanting to learn about their competitor instead of the lazily shooting out cookie cutter methods. Anyways, too late now - already on my AAS cycle haha! Thanks for the super informative advice though!

I respect your opinion and knowledge base Sam but I really have to disagree. Your statement may hold true for lower level figure but not if you're trying to win.

I know for certain if youre not using aas, fat burners, diuretics and GH you are at a huge disadvantage for figure.

And this is not just opinion, my wife has first hand experience with this category. And is currently in prep for NPC nationals. If she was going into this naturally it would be pointless

Last edited:

prariefire

Registered
I know for certain if youre not using aas, fat burners, diuretics and GH you are at a huge disadvantage for figure.

And this is not just opinion, my wife has first hand experience with this category. And is currently in prep for NPC nationals. If she was going into this naturally it would be pointless
i agree with you to the point of gh, figure women definitely dont need the gh. I could name off the top women at canadian nats and most of them werent doing that. Problem with most women is they dont diet hard enough, the ones that suffer dieting and get lean dont need the gh, they would be using t3 though and other fat burners. Actually i know very few top level women that use gh...... seens like a waste to me and if u want the fat burning effects use fragment your last 4 weeks if ur behind

i agree with you to the point of gh, figure women definitely dont need the gh. I could name off the top women at canadian nats and most of them werent doing that. Problem with most women is they dont diet hard enough, the ones that suffer dieting and get lean dont need the gh, they would be using t3 though and other fat burners. Actually i know very few top level women that use gh...... seens like a waste to me and if u want the fat burning effects use fragment your last 4 weeks if ur behind
I'm speaking from first hand experience with my wife as well as a couple of her friends that are national level figure and ifbb pro figure competitors. Believe what you like the reality is very different.

Thread starter #20

It's very hush hush among women regarding enhancements, I couldn't believe bikini girls were taking stuff too when I was reading competitor interviews and watching their training clips. But yeah Zuespas is definitely right, non-tested competitions are definitely all fair game in terms of all the shit that even bikini girls are on (at the Victoria Cup, I swore there were two or three bikini girls more conditioned and had juicier delts than the majority of the figure girls..).