What's new

Quitting my job and starting over

Sometimes these kind of risks are worth the taking. I’ve owned my own business for the last 6 years and it was the best decision I made for myself and my family. Being my own boss I make my own hours and I am not tied down to someone else’s agenda except my own. This enables me to have a much more balanced family life at home which I was missing out on a lot. That being said, having the option to sit down to dinner with my wife and kids or picking my kids up from school whenever I wanted was a huge bonus OR work later whenever I see fit. Although a new series of stress arises such as managing other people, meeting deadlines, dealing with clients etc....all things I’ve had to adjust to dealing with while branching out on my own. Goodluck!
Damn. The dream. I have my first kid on the way (due date in august but delivering most likely mid july). Got my shifts changed to get off work earlier to spend more time with the baby but sometimes, they're long hours. I hope it's enough. At work at the moment as well.

Hiring staff is one of my biggest stressors at my shop.
This winter/spring alone I have went through 4 people for one position - the last guy never showed up for his first day....

Hiring staff is one of my biggest stressors at my shop.
This winter/spring alone I have went through 4 people for one position - the last guy never showed up for his first day....
Yep, that is the worst part about business. It’s pretty much my biggest stress. I have noticed a change in the last couple of decades also. More of a work to live not a live to work attitude. I don’t get it, life is a lot more enjoyable when you have more money and less stress about paying bills and such. How do you enjoy your time off if you are broke, lol.

@Sorbate
i know that wasnt fair to everyone. im just going off my friends experiences in bars and restaurants not food industry in general. i could defend my position but its not relevant. id consider you more on retail where bars and restaurants are more service and entertainment. its cool you defending your workers but i wouldnt consider your business sexy, as much as im into meat. your workers arent there to party or scam big tips from lonely drunk dudes.
Not sexy to you, sexy to me.
I love my job, and I make a damn good living at it. You know what’s sexy, having no worries about finances, no bill, almost no debt. Shit that makes work really sexy for me. But you know I have never looked down on any job I have had.
Shit I can even see the silver lining in cleaning a grease trap. :)

Not sexy to you, sexy to me.
I love my job, and I make a damn good living at it. You know what’s sexy, having no worries about finances, no bill, almost no debt. Shit that makes work really sexy for me. But you know I have never looked down on any job I have had.
Shit I can even see the silver lining in cleaning a grease trap. :)
Never worked fast food - farmed for most of my life and spun wrenches, it was nothing to pull 105 hours a week on the farm for 6 weeks straight every day hustle an grind. Had a shit ton of money for those 2 weeks off
Now, own my shop, and it’s not like I pay horrible - just a regular workers (parts or counter staff) is 17 an hour to start, benefits and raise after 3 months

Thread starter #46
Im not going down the franchise route. Yoi guys are right its like paying someone a 100k for a 70k job.

I found a willing seller for a small business, operates e-sales. They are willing to sell me their inventory and suppliers. Has a few repeat customers, not a ton of cash flow. But its a good product just zero marketing or guidance.

Im going to invest some seious time into google adwords and other pay per click methods and see if I can get it humming.

Won't cost me much and i can keep working while doing it. Not going to lie, saying you are going to quit your job is MUCH easier than actually doing it. Like basically everything else in life.

If i can get some cash flow going I'll try get a loan from a bank and hire some people. Life is about to get harder.

My goal is to get it to about 5-6k a month revenue then sell.

I need this.

Never worked fast food - farmed for most of my life and spun wrenches, it was nothing to pull 105 hours a week on the farm for 6 weeks straight every day hustle an grind. Had a shit ton of money for those 2 weeks off
Now, own my shop, and it’s not like I pay horrible - just a regular workers (parts or counter staff) is 17 an hour to start, benefits and raise after 3 months
I grew up on the farm. When the certain seasons hit, damn you work.

Im not going down the franchise route. Yoi guys are right its like paying someone a 100k for a 70k job.

I found a willing seller for a small business, operates e-sales. They are willing to sell me their inventory and suppliers. Has a few repeat customers, not a ton of cash flow. But its a good product just zero marketing or guidance.

Im going to invest some seious time into google adwords and other pay per click methods and see if I can get it humming.

Won't cost me much and i can keep working while doing it. Not going to lie, saying you are going to quit your job is MUCH easier than actually doing it. Like basically everything else in life.

If i can get some cash flow going I'll try get a loan from a bank and hire some people. Life is about to get harder.

My goal is to get it to about 5-6k a month revenue then sell.

I need this.
Best of luck 129.
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do now?

Thread starter #50
Best of luck 129.
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do now?
Engineer

Resource industry

Money is really good

But its secondary to me now. My life hasn't really gotten that much better after i crossed a certain salary.

Not very materialistic, don't live in a major city with inflated real estate. No kids.

My monthly expenses are less than half my check

Obviously i wouldnt turn down more money. Im saying id rather grow in a different direction.