Thread starter #1

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
1. if you don't enjoy it, don't do it
2. see #1 if you don't like
a. dieting
b. cardio
c. lack of sleep
d. people talking about food, eating food around you, the smell of fries when you drive past fast food restaurants...see 2.a, and #1
e. the perceived cost of competing

Further to point 2.e, I took a minute to respond to someone on facebook's complaint and wrote this...
SP said:
Competing isn't free but I've never thought it was that expensive...

My costs to compete vs just training regularly (without a trainer/coach, their costs vary of course)

- $150/month extra 'supplements' (average during prep)
- $50/mo extra food cost (fresh veggies, cleaner meat)

x 3 months = $600

- $25 haircut
- $125 spray tan
- $100 membership
- $200 entry fee

= $450 per show

Roughly $1k vs just training and eating regularly, if it's a local show. Girls might need to include hair and makeup but I know more than a few who're perfectly capable of doing their own (and either do, or don't...their choice of course)

If it's somewhere far obviously add travel costs...I think Toronto cost roughly $1500 for TWO people to go, so under $1k if I hadn't had my 'support team' (mrs.SP)

1. if you don't enjoy it, don't do it
2. see #1 if you don't like
a. dieting
b. cardio
c. lack of sleep
d. people talking about food, eating food around you, the smell of fries when you drive past fast food restaurants...see 2.a, and #1
e. the perceived cost of competing

Further to point 2.e, I took a minute to respond to someone on facebook's complaint and wrote this...
If you really love it and it is important to you then just do it. People like to find reasons to back out and not commit because they are usually afraid of reality, not winning. However, losing is not a bad thing because you should learn form it and find your weaknesses to improve upon. Haircut cost could be avoided and just shave the head. lol.

I competed when it was a little cheaper, but the wages were less than now.

I loved to compete, I loved everything about it...... not shaving.:)

Vet gear, and human gear wasn't cheap.

noexcuse

Registered
I dont understand the lack of sleep part. Dont see how a lack of sleep would be beneficial to competing.?

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Competing can be expensive, no doubt, but why? Of course, we want to win. We fantasize about it, dream of it, but in the real competitive world we know about where we stand after the weigh in. There is something about competition, though; going to the athlete's meeting on Saturday morning and getting your number, finding out when you class goes out (hopefully early, for me) Being backstage, finishing off the tan and any other cosmetic aspects of your look, pumping up and comparing yourself to everyone else back stage, Chatting with the guest poser, then, finally, lining up with your group and walking out there for the pre judging... nothing like it. You are walking out there in a shred of material about the size of a postage stamp in front of a theater full of people, a panel of judges, your peers... be ready.

PHATKID77

Registered
Further to snow patrols post as a couple things left out and not accounted for. And as you said. People vary.

I’d bet most everyone’s food cost go up way more than 50$ due to not being 24/7. Food as a whole would be 20-30$ a day high end
(I might save money cutting booze and fast food if I added it up. Lol)

You left out the big money draw. Drugs
Not all are “sponsored” and most prep protocol are extensive. So an easy few hundred a month

Coach? Could be 200/month or 400USD FOR JANSEN

Hotel room for two nites unless it’s in your home town
“Extra” food on the day of comp.. breakfast lunch and dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter #7

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Further to snow patrols post as a couple things left out and not accounted for. And as you said. People vary.

I’d bet most everyone’s food cost go up way more than 50$ due to not being 24/7. Food as a whole would be 20-30$ a day high end
(I might save money cutting booze and fast food if I added it up. Lol)
I don't understand the bolded portion. In the offseason I eat 400g of protein per day, it's expensive

When I prep I drop to 300g/d and add fresh veggies...my costs barely change at all - $50 is high to be honest

You left out the big money draw. Drugs
No, I didn't: " - $150/month extra 'supplements' (average during prep) "

I spend roughly $100/mo on gear during the offseason, with no 'sponsorship' that wouldn't much more than double when I prep.

Subtract anadrol / deca and even test, add a vial of tren ace, some winstrol or mast...some dyazide and halo at the end - not exorbitant at all

Coach? Could be 200/month or 400USD FOR JANSEN
I went from nothing to nationals without a coach, if money is an issue...don't use one

Hotel room for two nites unless it’s in your home town
“Extra” food on the day of comp.. breakfast lunch and dinner
Now I'm not even sure if you read what I posted because I very clearly included that, though I didn't break it down:

" If it's somewhere far obviously add travel costs...I think Toronto cost roughly $1500 for TWO people to go, so under $1k if I hadn't had my 'support team' (mrs.SP)"

$500 * 2 plane tickets + $500 for 4 nights in an airBnB

"Extra" food is completely up to you and doesn't get included in a budget, sorry

PHATKID77

Registered
I read what you wrote but figured I’d add extra in not the plane travel part
That’s only going to apply to national competitions generally and those people aren’t asking what it costs to prep lol
These questions are from curious first timers likely.
And you only dropped $150?? Almost HRT. Lol
Remember back in the day when health didn’t matter. What did that cycle run ya?. Haha

PHATKID77

Registered
And the food cost wasn’t really debating you. I said you eat clean 24/7. But for gym rats that don’t or just eat a couple times a day. Buying the food is a wake up call as there is no. “Missing meals. Or I don’t feel like eating”. Lol
No saving money on missed meals! Haha

PHATKID77

Registered
And muscle_in_blood. Talking with guest posers. Lol
Most shows so god damn cheap now the guest poser is a fucking top 5 provincial/national competitor that knows promoter. Lol [emoji849]

Thread starter #11

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
I read what you wrote but figured I’d add extra in not the plane travel part
That’s only going to apply to national competitions generally and those people aren’t asking what it costs to prep lol
These questions are from curious first timers likely.
The original prompt was from a national level top-3 WPD competitor complaining about costs, but generally I agree yep

And you only dropped $150?? Almost HRT. Lol
I wrote $150 extra per month, on top of the $100/month base cost...so roughly $250/month during prep, but again...it's only $100-150/month more than I'd be spending anyways

Remember back in the day when health didn’t matter. What did that cycle run ya?. Haha
Earlier on I ran heavier cycles during prep for sure, but they still weren't that costly in the grand scheme of things

Clen/T3, 2-3 vials of tren per month, 1-2 mast and some anavar or winstrol didn't seem too expensive even back then

If a person can't afford that, they're in the wrong sport...the rec dodgeball league only costs $40/yr here for example

I dont understand the lack of sleep part. Dont see how a lack of sleep would be beneficial to competing.?
You just don't sleep as well when depleted and some athletes on certain compounds, too. The body in survival mode becomes shitty basically lol