What's new

Rotator cuff?

Thread starter #1
I’ve had rotator cuff issues about 20 years ago..I’m now 43...has not been a problem until yesterday. It happened during a heavy shoulder session. I know rest and time will heal it but what else can I do to speed up recovery? I’ll be doing some ice tonight after hamstring day.
I have some mk which I was thinking of using earlier than expected in hopes it will help.
Any tips?

Bigtuna84

Registered
I had on going issues last year with my AC joint from years of heavy pressing. GH and TB 500 on the chemical side coupled with physio therapy worked wonders for me. I suggest laying off any pressing movements for at least a couple of weeks and acess from there.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I've had open surgery on both shoulders, the right in 2001, the left in 2005. I had full thickness rotator cuff tears, labrum tears, AC joint impingement, and bone spurs, plus a significant chondral defect on the left humerus. Doing behind the head seated presses with a good bit of weight hastened the demise of my shoulders. Unfortunately, when I was doing them, my shoulders were the best they ever were.
I've had to quit doing anything press wise with any serious free weight. Machines only for presses, focus on supersets and drop sets now.
Find exercises that don't hurt, and lighten up a bit.

Thread starter #4
Definitely will be training different as far as pressing movements go.....won’t be doing any for at least a week or 2. Has anyone used mk and noticed it’s healing effects?

Riplec

Registered
Definitely will be training different as far as pressing movements go.....won’t be doing any for at least a week or 2. Has anyone used mk and noticed it’s healing effects?
I have been using Mk677 for its other purposes but I am coming back from a shoulder injury also, this will not speed up the process, if you had been taking it prior to the injury my guess would be that it wouldv healed slightly faster maybe because your arround 43. but really the best you can do is resting, strenghtening exercises, ice, physio if possible. if you are looking for something to use than

tb-500
bpc-157

are a better bet if you ask me. I have been running mk677 for arround 5 months now, my injury was also 80% healed when I started, I kept on doing my streches, strenghtening exercises, properly warming up before workout. and I am still working on the last 10% of my shoulder weakness.

edit : if I can add its important to nail where the injury comes from, I remember going back to the drawing board with all my pressing forms.

Mnemonic

Registered
If you want to keep pressing heavy, ditch the bar and opt for dumbbells at a slightly internal angle.

Take a look at the typical anatomy of the shoulder/rotator.
The shoulder is not designed to go straight up, you're compressing everything under the clavicle/acromiom.
Essentially making every rep a rotator impingement, which is why bar behind head is probably the worst motion you can do for rotator health.

Anybody can still do them, just a matter of time/age before injury.

Thread starter #10
2 weeks tomorrow since the injury and wasn’t able to do anything last Sunday on chest day. Tried cable flyers just to get some blood moving but at the 3rd set I didn’t feel I was doing anything productive......with slight pain.
Yesterday I was able to do peck deck, cable crossovers and peck deck with high hand placement and keeping reps higher than normal. Eased into it and felt pretty good. Hoping for some light pressing next week.

Sorbate

Registered
2 weeks tomorrow since the injury and wasn’t able to do anything last Sunday on chest day. Tried cable flyers just to get some blood moving but at the 3rd set I didn’t feel I was doing anything productive......with slight pain.
Yesterday I was able to do peck deck, cable crossovers and peck deck with high hand placement and keeping reps higher than normal. Eased into it and felt pretty good. Hoping for some light pressing next week.
When I fried my left shoulder, I did pretty much fly only exercises for over a year, and my chest grew realky good. Once it finally healed I did some pressing movements, but it will flare the issue. Now I stick mainly to dumbells.

For shoulders lateral raises work if you find your groove for no pain. Up the reps to 20. Once you get to 23 increase the weight.

If you want a press movement, grab a mat, a couple of dumbells and lay on your back and do your presses. At least this way your elbows hit the floor and you don’t overextend an injured shoulder.

I have 2 friends that have had their shoulders rebuilt. Yeah, I bet it was cool when the shoulder pressed over 400 lbs for reps, but now they can barely train at 40 ish. So remember you have to live in your body for a long time.

pashapee

Registered
Hey man I have been in the same boat with shoulder issues for the past 12 years. Couple of laberal tears in the cuff + some cartilage damage. Currently doing Prolotherapy and PRP in the AC joint and rotator cuff before I start training for nationals!

Last year I just did one cortisone shot in the AC joint and one in the rotator cuff... it was pain free for a month and slowly came back so I don’t recommend cortisone! Specially if there’s any early signs of arthritis it will spead things up in the long run!

First suggestion would be to get an MRI... they put me on a 15 month wait list so I said fuck it and paid a grand out of pocket and got it done... all I can say is thank god I didn’t wait any longer!

Cheers

Attachments

Hey man I have been in the same boat with shoulder issues for the past 12 years. Couple of laberal tears in the cuff + some cartilage damage. Currently doing Prolotherapy and PRP in the AC joint and rotator cuff before I start training for nationals!

Last year I just did one cortisone shot in the AC joint and one in the rotator cuff... it was pain free for a month and slowly came back so I don’t recommend cortisone! Specially if there’s any early signs of arthritis it will spead things up in the long run!

First suggestion would be to get an MRI... they put me on a 15 month wait list so I said fuck it and paid a grand out of pocket and got it done... all I can say is thank god I didn’t wait any longer!

Cheers

With cortisone youre also limited to what 3 injections? Usually people just damage it more too, its strange docs go this route without a longer term in conjunction to actually fix you.