What's new

Set & Excercise Count & Timing

Thread starter #1
Hey Monsters,

Just wanted to see what the general consensus, or average, is on the following:

What timing do you use between your reps and between different exercises?
Currently I am follow a minute between sets and two minutes between different exercises / lifts.
I have researched this and this seems to be the "median" timing out there but there is a lot of debate around this going for both longer rest periods, and even some for shorter, depending on where you look.

What count do you use for your reps, mainly on your larger compound lifts?
Currently I go for 6-10 for most exercises, but again there is a lot of debate on this with some as low as 3-5 reps for mass building.
I realize that this is dependent on the muscle being worked and whether or not you are training for mass or cutting, in which case I use lower reps for mass and higher for cutting & smaller muscle groups, but am curious what is the median average is out there.

kaly11

Registered
What timing do you use between your reps and between different exercises?

I honestly have never focused on this before for the duration of the 15 years I have been training...I tend to do my next set when I feel like I am ready to go.
If I feel like I am fatigued from for example BB bench followed by incline DB presses - I will throw in a diff exercise such as calves before I go back to chest.

What count do you use for your reps, mainly on your larger compound lifts?

What I have adopted was this approach... after a significant warm up... I will do 3-4 working sets. THe first set will always be the heaviest ( 4-6 reps) followed by 6-8, 8-10, 10-12 or 15 for the last. I find that for my bodybuilding goals, this is where I saw the best improvement for size and strength - hitting all fiber types along the way.

I think everyone will have their own opinion for what does and doesn’t work for them.
Some people train to failure every set and have the mentality that if you don’t youre wasting your time.
I personally use 7x4 for my compounds with 90 seconds rest. And traditional hypertrophy 4x8-12 for direct muscle training.
Check out the link below. Maybe you could use Maximal Strength with Size Gains for your compound movements and then add in some Size Gains Without an Emphasis on Maximal Strength for your direct target work.
Again everyone is different and Has a different opinion. Just stick to what works for you. Don’t get too caught up In magic numbers. And just train hard

https://www.t-nation.com/training/set-rep-bible

Jdave

Registered
This guy creates “science explained” videos for lifting and supplements

Personally for time sake and make sure i hit everything I want that day I try to do 60-75 seconds. Larger heavier lifts 2 mins. And I don’t count between exercises because I may go from doing weighted pull ups to heavy leg press and need to warm up on the legs.

For rep count I aim for a range. Like 3-5 or 8-12.
so if I am aiming for 3 sets of 8-12 reps and I get 15 on the first go I know I should move up for the second set. If I get 6, I know I have to drop the weight a little.

Last edited:
I never count or think about the time between sets or exercises. I superset push\pull, descending order. There is no actual sit down rest periods between sets and exercises, just changing weights or setting up the next piece of equipment. It's extremely physically and mentally exhausting, always drenched in sweat and trying not to puke but it allows me to get the most amount of work done in the least amount of time. Controlled breathing is a must.