What's new

Should you be deadlifting?

More and more people have been saying the deadlift is not worth it when weighing the risk to reward. There can be a risk for injury with poor form. I see some of those gym fail videos with the rounded backs that make me cringe. Personally I've never had a serious injury from the deadlift but decided anyways to migrate to the trap bar deadlift so I can get my meat head ego fix still and lift some heavy ass weight from the floor!

Last edited:

Jdave

Rookie
I’ve hurt my self but it was entirely avoidable
If you don’t think deadlifts are worth it because of one Joe Rogan podcast then keep in mind - those are heavy deadlifts or lots of volume. There’s variations that take the risk off the lower back like trap bar or sumo. Or simply warming up properly and sticking with 5-8 rep range

kaly11

Rookie
It should be a staple in your workouts if you are wanting to put on size and strength, or in that case hold onto size and strength.

Of course things come into play to significantly reduce the amount of weight one can use.

I will always keep them in.. will I always be pulling 500+ lbs? absolutely not.

Do I now rotate deads and rack pulls each week? You bet.

There is no point in deadlifting, unless you want to be awesome. Lol

This exactly. You want to be strong and have a big back then you need to deadlift. Injuries can happen in all movements. Learn to do them correctly so as to lower the risk. Slight rounding of the back is ok, neutral spine has parameters and is not just one perfectly straight position.

punisher95

Rookie
Deadlifts is the one workout that actually helped me slap on mass in a decent period of time I don't go super heavy I just do high volume I think it should be a staple in everyone's workouts

SonOfOdin

Rookie
Ode To Deadlifting

Strong and straight
As was my back
Until one day I heard a crack
The posture now it turned to shit
But I can’t stop I’m not a bitch
So up it went the steel did sore
Until I yelled oh fuck the floor!
The plates they fell and bounced around
And I myself hit the ground.
So I did wrong indeed I did
Stupid posture much like a kid
But now I lift again once more
And wear my back belt
You filthy whore....

Regards
SonOfOdin

Hussell

Rookie
I am a strong believer in deadlifts if you can they were my favourite lift, my form is good but as soon as I get to 500 I start having lower left side back issues so I stopped and now only use the trap bar for deadlifting I miss them big time and find they added huge mass to my upper back the trap bar works does a good job but yeah miss deadlifting.

Jdave

Rookie
Not just deadlifts, it's true of everything you do in the gym that you should ask yourself "What is my goal, and will doing this get me there?"
Agreed- You don’t have to deadlift every week year round but when strength comes into focus, some heavy posterior chain movement (block pulls, rack pulls, any deadlift variation) should be incorporated into the program.

xpac2

Vet
I do do rack deads from around the knee. I find full deadlifts are more a hamstring exercise than a back exercise. Also I squat so I feel doing full deads would be a little redundant

LiveLeak

More and more people have been saying the deadlift is not worth it when weighing the risk to reward. There can be a risk for injury with poor form. I see some of those gym fail videos with the rounded backs that make me cringe. Personally I've never had a serious injury from the deadlift but decided anyways to migrate to the trap bar deadlift so I can get my meat head ego fix still and lift some heavy ass weight from the floor!
Let’s just start with the first sentence: who are these people?

As others have said every exercise has someone detracting from it but at the end of the day the deadlift is one of the best tools for packing on strength and size, end of story.

Do them right and without ego, and you won’t have issues.

Jericho

Rookie
My massage therapist, who is a masters world record holder tells me he only DL's once a month now. He says it's not worth the long term damage...
It really screws with my lower back, so i tend to use the hex bar instead.

storman

Rookie
Not everyone needs to be a powerlifter. Keeping the reps to 8-12 forces you to use reasonable weight and takes away a lot of the risk.
I now walk the weight out from the rack and start in the standing position instead of from the floor.

At 40 I'm finding that my crackling knees and lower back issues can impair my quality of life if I over do it. I am usually working up to a set of 5 at only 75% or so for squats and deads concentrating on perfect form.

I hit my muscles hard in the exercises that don't bother me. I just don't think I can get back into pushing the limits on these lifts if that will sacrifice my long term well being.

nitrous

Rookie
Depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter do you even have a choice? For aesthetic reasons no you do not have to. I built a national level physique without deadlifting.

For athletic or competitive sports reasons, there may be a benefit to it but this would have to be determined on an individual basis.

Jdave

Rookie
Depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter do you even have a choice? For aesthetic reasons no you do not have to. I built a national level physique without deadlifting.

For athletic or competitive sports reasons, there may be a benefit to it but this would have to be determined on an individual basis.
Did you deadlift in your time as a litter before doing the body building? It can stand to reason that if you did, it helped your foundation to built upon.