What's new

Shoulders

Saxonshore

Hello fellow Monsters!
Looking for some different exercises for shoulders. the reason why I'm asking is that both my shoulders are fucked. Just from wear and tear over the years of playing ball.
I'm now 44 and have had physio on both shoulders. Enough to get me back working them out but now I find them aching more and more as I lift more.
I've heard that pulling exercises are better than push exercises for the health of your shoulders. Makes sense but trying to come up a routine for pull exercises for my shoulders.
Any tips, insights would be awesome!
Thanks
Saxonshore

Saxonshore

Thanks GR....holy fuq you went to hell and back and came out pretty much on top. Congrats, thats amazing. Long journey but seems to be worth it. Keep it going.
When i was first reading it, I was like "this guys has to be old as fuq" but me thinks not! :)

I made a post about shoulder mobility and strength in @Pewbert log. Basically always warm up and activate your rotator cuff muscles before lifting. I suggest external and internal rotator cuff internal rotation with bands for 3 sets of 18 reps and also doing straight arm band pulldowns for 3 sets of 18 reps before any upper body day to wake them up and get the blood flowing. After your workout focus on mobility of the shoulders. The plate pass around and Shoulderok stuff from Kabuki Strength is awesome. You can buy a cheap similar tool like the Shoulderok on amazon for much cheaper. Here is the plate pass around and a link to the cheaper tool to do the Shoulderok exercises.

http://instagr.am/p/B35OCgwlJ3E/
Incline Fit Steel Macebell for Full Body Workouts & Strength Training, 10lb https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KPVNQJA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wvBWDbC40Z847

Saxonshore

Thanks brother. I did buy a lacrosse ball to rub one out sorta speak. Will invest in one of these as well!

Goldenrod

Rookie
Thanks GR....holy fuq you went to hell and back and came out pretty much on top. Congrats, thats amazing. Long journey but seems to be worth it. Keep it going.
When i was first reading it, I was like "this guys has to be old as fuq" but me thinks not! :)
Ya I’m late 40’s and kept getting nagging injuries. went to a rehab professional, read fo hours on what might help and discussed with people I consider very experienced like @Bigtuna84 and decided on a protocol.
Kept working out just to put some strain on the injuries but not pushing it at all, took the listed compounds and much to my surprise went from around 205 to 226 and now back to 220. Had no plans of gaining muscle but I did. I ate to heal, enough protein but nothing like a bulking diet.

Goldenrod

Rookie
I made a post about shoulder mobility and strength in @Pewbert log. Basically always warm up and activate your rotator cuff muscles before lifting. I suggest external and internal rotator cuff internal rotation with bands for 3 sets of 18 reps and also doing straight arm band pulldowns for 3 sets of 18 reps before any upper body day to wake them up and get the blood flowing. After your workout focus on mobility of the shoulders. The plate pass around and Shoulderok stuff from Kabuki Strength is awesome. You can buy a cheap similar tool like the Shoulderok on amazon for much cheaper. Here is the plate pass around and a link to the cheaper tool to do the Shoulderok exercises.

http://instagr.am/p/B35OCgwlJ3E/
Incline Fit Steel Macebell for Full Body Workouts & Strength Training, 10lb https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KPVNQJA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wvBWDbC40Z847
Hi @rhynoplanet - you obviously know more than most for listing heavy weight and preventing injuries. I read about your warm ups but being honest - I don’t understand some of what you list. I don’t want to get off topic but would love to pick your brain on your warm up work and stretches, etc.
Again - best of luck on the 10th.

Saxonshore

I'm 44 and a lot of days feel like I'm 60. Just have to stay positive and put the work in

RickHarley

My favorite exercises for shoulder with dumbbell:
1. Palms-In Alternated Shoulder Press
2. Seated Palms-In Alternated Shoulder Press
3. Back Supported Shoulder Press