What's new

SP's Pro-qualifier prep log (Sponsored by Trans)

Thread starter #1,742

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
I haven't scanned your thread in a while. You are leaning out very nicely. On that elbow... I thought I had a tendonitis in my right elbow some years back. I trained around it for a fucking year. It bothered me on any presses, but mostly on direct tricep work. I could only do pushdowns with my hand position just right. What I had was a bone spur that had grown into the tricep tendon. Simple surgery cleared it right up, completely.
That would show on an Xray, right?

Weight 223

Well I was just a cunthair under 220 for a brief instant Saturday morning, but I think that was a fluke because since then I've been hovering between 224 and 223.

As of yesterday my carbs are under 100, protein is still over 400 and cardio is 1hr of 120bpm/day

Leg "day" last night went surprisingly well with the low carbs but generally speaking my workouts are getting slower, shorter and shittier all at the same time :)

Stingy

Registered
Hey SP, been a long time. You're looking great.

Like M&B said, bone spurs will show on an x-ray. For tendonitis the one thing that has always helped me is voodoo floss and Voltaren. Floss is maybe $20 and you just wrap the joint, get some blood in there (high reps with a light band) and that's it.

Trevor Bachmayer and Donny Thompson have good suggestions on Youtube to help get rid of this sort of stuff.

Thread starter #1,745

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
So, it's been a little bit since I updated this...life got hectic in the couple of weeks prior to my last (first of two) shows

It's still hectic but I'm feeling burnt out at work today so I will take a few minutes to upload a few pictures and try to recall the key events

For whatever reason I hovered in the 223-225 range for the final ("peak") week going into the show, so weigh-ins were challenging. We opted to weigh in as early as possible (around 3:30) to give me a couple-of-hour buffer in case I was still heavy. I wasn't, but that meant cutting water the night before (thursday) at 7pm which most will recognize is suboptimal for a saturday morning pre-judging.

No food and 1.5hrs cardio friday got me down to 219 which is 1lbs under the 220 cap for my height (6' 1/2" on their measuring stick). I ate a bunch of oats, rehydrated a little (roughly 3L of fluid) until 8pm then took a half dyazide, cut water and tried (unsuccessfully) to sleep...cut my posing music and put on a USB stick.

The next morning I took another half dyazide, ate some eggs, oats and protein powder and headed to the venue, ate the rice out of a chicken and rice meal and got my spray tan touched up. We took the stage around 10am, if I had to guess. They broke our 9 person class into two uneven callouts, the top 3 and then the bottom 6. First they judged us (top 3) and I was in second place with 4 votes to 1. They kicked us off to the side of the stage, judged the second call out then brought us back out. Here I must have fucked something up, because I lost two votes and ended up in third place.

I wasn't overly upset about losing to the first place guy, who took the overall by a wide margin since I've been up against him at nationals before...he flew in from Ontario for some reason, which was obviously a bit of a dick move for a regional show, but that's not my problem. For me, the disappointment stemmed from first having, then losing second place, which I thought was solidly mine based on shape, conditioning and even posing.

I have no one to blame but myself, I'm certainly not questioning that the judges saw what they saw and scored accordingly. I'll do better in 1.5 weeks at the national pro qualifier that I just finished registering for a few minutes ago.

Here are a few pictures from the athlete's meeting the night before and the day of the show...

219 at weighins:

224 morning of the show:

Mid day, after PJ / before finals:

Third place (night show, roughly 226lbs):

Last edited:
In that last pic, I am assuming the middle guy won and the guy on the left placed above you? I agree with the middle guy but I don't understand the guy on the left beating you. Maybe your poses were really off? Just looking at the picture I think you have him beat in size/conditioning/symmetry. But I am just a powerlifter so what do I know, I am just going by what I see. Either way, congratulations on all the hard work and third place is something to be proud of. Keep up the hard work and go prove them wrong at the next show.

Awesome brother! I agree you deserved second hands down, guy had no flow to his body arms look like there depleted for the last 3 weeks. Waist shoulder ratio isn't pleasing

However first place cant argue there, he was a bit dryer and leaner than you.

But man you look sick what's the plan next ?

Thread starter #1,752

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
My posing was alright, it's not so different from regular bodybuilding that I think it needs a tonne of work but I have a week until the next show so I'm working on it anyways

Awesome brother! I agree you deserved second hands down, guy had no flow to his body arms look like there depleted for the last 3 weeks. Waist shoulder ratio isn't pleasing

However first place cant argue there, he was a bit dryer and leaner than you.

But man you look sick what's the plan next ?
I'm back down to 224 and change this morning, the plan is to get as close to 220 by next Friday as possible so that weigh-ins aren't as much of a fight

http://www.canadianproqualifier.com/

Thread starter #1,753

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Looks like my last post was about a week before nationals so I'll try to fill in the gaps between then and now

"Peak week" for me historically, and recently has been virtually no different than 2 - 3 weeks out of the show:
- Carbs are already low, I don't usually drop them lower (and didn't this time either)
- Cardio is moderately high, that stays the same though historically I'd stop on Wednesday but in order to ensure I made weight for both of these shows I kept it in and even ratcheted it up a little on Friday before weigh-ins
- Posing is a little more frequent and intense, and I start to think about what song to use and what I want to do in my routine
- Gear stays the same but I will do my last injections roughly 4-5 days before the show for safety's sake

My weight was about 2lbs lower throughout the week, so rather than having to go from 224.8 to <220 on friday it was closer to a roughly 223 starting point on waking, though I didn't trust the scale at my airBNB

So to elaborate, I worked mon/tue/wed...flew to toronto (4hrs) thursday afternoon and landed at 10pm EST. My airbnb hosts picked me up from the airport (for a moderate 'extra' cost, lol) and obliged me by stopping at walmart so I could get some whole eggs, eggwhites and steak

Friday morning I woke up, realized their scale was a total shit dial-style fiasco and pondered my options

My coach said well we know especially after flying you very likely need to drop some water so I walked over to the community rec center, didn't bother weighing myself and hopped on the stairmill...after one riverdale episode (roughly 45mins later) I cooled down for another 15mins on a treadmill then stripped and weighed myself on their electronic scale - it too was a little shady but it finally 'locked' in at 220.0

I called my coach who said good enough, head to the venue so you can weigh in and start eating (I hadn't since the night before)

They wouldn't let me check my weight before weighing in and starting a 30min timer if I was over so I was a little stressed, not knowing how accurate the gym scale had been. I went outside, smoked and walked around the buildling spitting as much as I could for about half an hour anyways then my coach and I said fuck it lets do this...run stairs for 28mins if I'm overweight but when I weighed in I was just under 218 * fml * needless to say I'll make sure to bring my own scale next time

Once I was done weighins and registration, I ate about eight packs of instant oatmeal dry, some twizzlers and a snickers then had a quick nap. My tan was later in the afternoon, athlete's meeting (as usual, a complete waste of time) that evening then I had steak and fries with only sips of water and half a diazyde before bed

Woke up at 4:30am to get my second tan applied (at the venue) at 5:15, then came back and napped again until I left for the venue again around 9. Ended up taking the stage much later than expected, probably around 11.

Prejudging went well, I was in fourth or fifth so I knew to be ready to do my routine that evening. I had an ahi tuna poke, a burger and some fries, another nap and quarter diazyde then it was time to head back to the venue for finals.

My routine went well, posing felt much better than the previous show and I ended up with fifth place which I was actually quite happy with for my first foray in classic at the national level.

My coach's feedback was that fourth was within my grasp but posing was likely the difference there, top 3 had me on physique/proportions so as always, there's work to do this offseason. What's interesting/helpful is that it's far more clear what specifically needs to be addressed when you have a weight cap rather than just 'grow everything' (in the superheavyweight class)

In order to stay under the weight cap, my legs probably need to come down 5% in size to accommodate 5-10% upper body growth (particularly arms and back) so that will be an interesting and somewhat-difficult adjustment to make to my training...

I find it hard to justify paying $150 for stage photos of a fifth place finish but here are a few that I've found from the internet or friends:

Sounds like things went well for you on the day of the show, so congrats on that. I am not a bodybuilder and don't pretend to know all the rules but I laughed when I read you should bring down your legs and then bring up your upper body. To me, again not being a bodybuilder, it sounds funny that you should decrease the size of your legs but I respect what you need to do to meet their standards to improve your placing. 5th place is no joke at a first time nationals in classic, so big congrats to you on that. Now you get to enjoy the off season and build up that physique to improve at next year's nationals. I think you are tall for bodybuilding, not sure why but I think I remember you being 6'2 or so. When I look at the group photo I am surprised how most are your height or taller, I always thought BB's were shorter generally. Do classic bbs tend to be taller? I was always more impressed by the taller guys being able to get to large as their muscles are spread out over longer levers or maybe because I am 6'2 so I have something to compare it to.

Thread starter #1,755

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Sounds like things went well for you on the day of the show, so congrats on that. I am not a bodybuilder and don't pretend to know all the rules but I laughed when I read you should bring down your legs and then bring up your upper body. To me, again not being a bodybuilder, it sounds funny that you should decrease the size of your legs but I respect what you need to do to meet their standards to improve your placing. 5th place is no joke at a first time nationals in classic, so big congrats to you on that. Now you get to enjoy the off season and build up that physique to improve at next year's nationals. I think you are tall for bodybuilding, not sure why but I think I remember you being 6'2 or so. When I look at the group photo I am surprised how most are your height or taller, I always thought BB's were shorter generally. Do classic bbs tend to be taller? I was always more impressed by the taller guys being able to get to large as their muscles are spread out over longer levers or maybe because I am 6'2 so I have something to compare it to.
Since I'm already pushing the maximum "classic" weight for my height (6'0-6'1 = 220lbs, I'm somewhere in the middle @ 184/185cm) there's no headroom to simply grow my upper body, without compromising somewhere else

Classic is definitely better-suited to taller guys, in my opinion - at least at the amateur level where the time investment, cost and potential health risk to put a competitive amount of open-division mass on a >6' frame is significant

At the pro level things are a bit different, since generally these are the guys who possess superior genetics, time (money) and a high risk tolerance and are able to do what it takes to succeed with less impediment

Thread starter #1,756

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Weight 245-250

Without really trying at all, I have...grown? To >25lbs heavier than my weigh-ins-weight, despite keeping up with moderate cardio (20-30mins at least 5x/wk) and a relatively controlled diet. That being said my stage weight was likely 225+ because I was quite depleted in order to make the 220lbs cutoff.

Changes that I think are having an impact
- carbs increased from ~150 to 250-300g/d, slight fat increase and slight protein decrease
- training 5x instead of 7x/wk, heavy and intense but shorter workouts (and half as many leg days)
- re-introduced test at a decent dose, added mk677 and dropped everything else (seriously...* everything *)

So to summarize my current diet/training/cardio/supplements
- 300p/300c/75f
- 5x/wk * 60mins resistance training
- 6x/wk 25mins LISS
- 'gear' is t400 and aromasin with some NAC, TUDCA and omega3/6 supplements on top

eazy57

Registered
I really enjoy following your logs. Very informative into the life of a competitor. Also your training and diet regimens are very well explained.

I learn a lot just by following this thread.

Great job... and again thanks.

Thread starter #1,758

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
I really enjoy following your logs. Very informative into the life of a competitor. Also your training and diet regimens are very well explained.

I learn a lot just by following this thread.

Great job... and again thanks.
Thanks, and you're very welcome. It helps me stay somewhat accountable and gives me a record to look back on, and if it helps others I'm even more encouraged to continue