What's new

SP's Pro-qualifier prep log (Sponsored by Trans)

Thread starter #1,742

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
I haven't scanned your thread in a while. You are leaning out very nicely. On that elbow... I thought I had a tendonitis in my right elbow some years back. I trained around it for a fucking year. It bothered me on any presses, but mostly on direct tricep work. I could only do pushdowns with my hand position just right. What I had was a bone spur that had grown into the tricep tendon. Simple surgery cleared it right up, completely.
That would show on an Xray, right?

Weight 223

Well I was just a cunthair under 220 for a brief instant Saturday morning, but I think that was a fluke because since then I've been hovering between 224 and 223.

As of yesterday my carbs are under 100, protein is still over 400 and cardio is 1hr of 120bpm/day

Leg "day" last night went surprisingly well with the low carbs but generally speaking my workouts are getting slower, shorter and shittier all at the same time :)

Stingy

Registered
Hey SP, been a long time. You're looking great.

Like M&B said, bone spurs will show on an x-ray. For tendonitis the one thing that has always helped me is voodoo floss and Voltaren. Floss is maybe $20 and you just wrap the joint, get some blood in there (high reps with a light band) and that's it.

Trevor Bachmayer and Donny Thompson have good suggestions on Youtube to help get rid of this sort of stuff.

Thread starter #1,745

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
So, it's been a little bit since I updated this...life got hectic in the couple of weeks prior to my last (first of two) shows

It's still hectic but I'm feeling burnt out at work today so I will take a few minutes to upload a few pictures and try to recall the key events

For whatever reason I hovered in the 223-225 range for the final ("peak") week going into the show, so weigh-ins were challenging. We opted to weigh in as early as possible (around 3:30) to give me a couple-of-hour buffer in case I was still heavy. I wasn't, but that meant cutting water the night before (thursday) at 7pm which most will recognize is suboptimal for a saturday morning pre-judging.

No food and 1.5hrs cardio friday got me down to 219 which is 1lbs under the 220 cap for my height (6' 1/2" on their measuring stick). I ate a bunch of oats, rehydrated a little (roughly 3L of fluid) until 8pm then took a half dyazide, cut water and tried (unsuccessfully) to sleep...cut my posing music and put on a USB stick.

The next morning I took another half dyazide, ate some eggs, oats and protein powder and headed to the venue, ate the rice out of a chicken and rice meal and got my spray tan touched up. We took the stage around 10am, if I had to guess. They broke our 9 person class into two uneven callouts, the top 3 and then the bottom 6. First they judged us (top 3) and I was in second place with 4 votes to 1. They kicked us off to the side of the stage, judged the second call out then brought us back out. Here I must have fucked something up, because I lost two votes and ended up in third place.

I wasn't overly upset about losing to the first place guy, who took the overall by a wide margin since I've been up against him at nationals before...he flew in from Ontario for some reason, which was obviously a bit of a dick move for a regional show, but that's not my problem. For me, the disappointment stemmed from first having, then losing second place, which I thought was solidly mine based on shape, conditioning and even posing.

I have no one to blame but myself, I'm certainly not questioning that the judges saw what they saw and scored accordingly. I'll do better in 1.5 weeks at the national pro qualifier that I just finished registering for a few minutes ago.

Here are a few pictures from the athlete's meeting the night before and the day of the show...

219 at weighins:

224 morning of the show:

Mid day, after PJ / before finals:

Third place (night show, roughly 226lbs):

Last edited:

66Chevy

Super Moderator
Great job my friend!

I'm still shocked by the guy on the left edging you out for 2nd. Weird looking physique, wider waist, smaller arms and shoulders and high lat inserts. :sick: ....but c'est la vie. ;)

In that last pic, I am assuming the middle guy won and the guy on the left placed above you? I agree with the middle guy but I don't understand the guy on the left beating you. Maybe your poses were really off? Just looking at the picture I think you have him beat in size/conditioning/symmetry. But I am just a powerlifter so what do I know, I am just going by what I see. Either way, congratulations on all the hard work and third place is something to be proud of. Keep up the hard work and go prove them wrong at the next show.

Awesome brother! I agree you deserved second hands down, guy had no flow to his body arms look like there depleted for the last 3 weeks. Waist shoulder ratio isn't pleasing

However first place cant argue there, he was a bit dryer and leaner than you.

But man you look sick what's the plan next ?

Thread starter #1,752

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
My posing was alright, it's not so different from regular bodybuilding that I think it needs a tonne of work but I have a week until the next show so I'm working on it anyways

Awesome brother! I agree you deserved second hands down, guy had no flow to his body arms look like there depleted for the last 3 weeks. Waist shoulder ratio isn't pleasing

However first place cant argue there, he was a bit dryer and leaner than you.

But man you look sick what's the plan next ?
I'm back down to 224 and change this morning, the plan is to get as close to 220 by next Friday as possible so that weigh-ins aren't as much of a fight

http://www.canadianproqualifier.com/