What's new

Squatting form assistance

Thread starter #1
Hey everyone i have a question about squats. I had a friend check my neutral spine and aparently i loose my form half way down, (unweighted tests) now by elevating my heels i can maintain proper form right down to the bottom so should i just do squats with elevated heals or is there things that i can do to correct my form? I appreciate any information, thanks guys

Testbear

Registered
Hey everyone i have a question about squats. I had a friend check my neutral spine and aparently i loose my form half way down, (unweighted tests) now by elevating my heels i can maintain proper form right down to the bottom so should i just do squats with elevated heals or is there things that i can do to correct my form? I appreciate any information, thanks guys
You need to work on your mobility. There's lots of good squat mobility tutorials on YouTube. work on increasing hip mobility. Ankle mobility is often overlooked for the squat, this would explain why elevating your heal is helping your form. By increasing your ankle rom you will be able to open up for room for your knees to travel in the squat and you will be able to sit more comfortably into the hole.

Thread starter #3
You need to work on your mobility. There's lots of good squat mobility tutorials on YouTube. work on increasing hip mobility. Ankle mobility is often overlooked for the squat, this would explain why elevating your heal is helping your form. By increasing your ankle rom you will be able to open up for room for your knees to travel in the squat and you will be able to sit more comfortably into the hole.
Thanks testbear, I guess thats also why my hips feel very tight at the lower end. I will tear into the youtube vids later today

As @Testbear says, it’s a flexibility issue. In hips and or ankle.
Work on your hips and ankle mobility. Increase the ROM . Also try Getting a plyo box, or even use a bench. And practice really extensuating proper hip mobility. Sitting all the way back in your squat. This way you have almost like a safety net as well.

Anytime I feel like my form gets away from me on heavy ass squats I always bring back the box and make sure I’m driving my hips back while sitting. Knowing that the box is there. You really fell comfortable doing so. Then Remove the box and carry it over into a free squat.

Stingy

Registered
Donny Thompson makes some good videos regarding ankle mobility and you will only need a band.

Pewbert

Registered
Mobility is great it makes for a healthy body
But there's nothing wrong with weightlifting shoes

I use oly shoes for high bar squats they have a 3/4 inch heel, for high bar squats I use a wider stance
And the shoe's make it easier to go all the way down

For low bar squat I use chuck Tayler's and there flat. My stance is wider , I'm better able to open up my hips and reacting depth is easy.
Heel or no heel, depends on what kind of squat I'm doing.

-Pewbert

Addy

Registered
Mobility is great it makes for a healthy body
But there's nothing wrong with weightlifting shoes

I use oly shoes for high bar squats they have a 3/4 inch heel, for high bar squats I use a wider stance
And the shoe's make it easier to go all the way down

For low bar squat I use chuck Tayler's and there flat. My stance is wider , I'm better able to open up my hips and reacting depth is easy.
Heel or no heel, depends on what kind of squat I'm doing.

-Pewbert
You need to work on ankle dorsiflexsion. Lack of ankle dorsi flexsion can be caused by tight calves but most likely it is caused by the ankle joint itself.

Thread starter #8
Thank you guys for the advice i found lots of youtube vids now filled with all kinds of info I will be focusing on mobility in the upcoming months also @Pewbert one of the vids referenced those shoes with the lift. I didnt know that was a thing ill have to look into those

Testbear

Registered
Thank you guys for the advice i found lots of youtube vids now filled with all kinds of info I will be focusing on mobility in the upcoming months also @Pewbert one of the vids referenced those shoes with the lift. I didnt know that was a thing ill have to look into those
Squat shoes are great especially if you prefer squatting high bar and are more of a quad dominant squatter