What's new

Squatting low bar with flat foot shoes vs olympic

Thread starter #1

Scorpion

Registered
Started to adding low bar squats to my workouts, I usually only squat high bar. My question is squatting in flat shoes better for low bar ?

krs2

Registered
totally depends on your individual leverages, and ankle/hip mobility. not going to get too technical here but to make it simple just try out both and see what feels better. record yourself and see if you have optimal bar path with flat shoes or with oly shoes. i recommend downloading IronPath on your phone, its a great app to use which creates a visual of your bar path.

I train true Olympic squats only. I switch over to low-bar a couple weeks out from competition for the leverage advantage. NOTHING else changes. Its basically an Olympic low-bar squat. I wear my AdiPowers for everything i do in the gym except benching.

I've always been a flat shoe squatter. I like keeping the weight on my heels and not forcing knees forward.

Thread starter #5

Scorpion

Registered
I did squats last couple days in both oly shoes and my wrestling shoes(flat foot) the main difference i found is that i can go a lot deeper then parallel in oly shoes. Is that better then just hitting parallel in my wrestling shoes ?

Question to Blown&Injected do you deadlift in your adipowers ?

I do everything with my adipowers except for deadlift, i use them for bench too

I did squats last couple days in both oly shoes and my wrestling shoes(flat foot) the main difference i found is that i can go a lot deeper then parallel in oly shoes. Is that better then just hitting parallel in my wrestling shoes ?

I deadlift in them yes. Literally EVERYTHING in the gym.... except bench, in them. Only reason i take them off for bench is because the added heel height tends to make my ass lift off the bench. Actually missed a bench opener in my first comp because i forgot to take them off.

I deadlift ONLY Olympic style (clean deads, snatch deads). Its a lot harder than regular conventional, and it requires Oly shoes to do right. Crazy thing is, is that this harder style actually surpassed my regular conventional in weight over the years, and now in PL comp i will actually do a true clean deadlift on the platform.

I'm not convinced that you need to ditch the shoes to pull. I am fully aware that every goddamn powerlifter out there wants to see bloody ballet slippers or 'deadlift shoes' (hahaha), to keep that heel as low as possible. I've even seen 'deadlift shoes' with a reverse wedge soul..... meaning the toes were higher than the heels..... which.... is the stupidest thing i've ever seen. Anyways, for every powerlifter out there that swears you need a flat heel, i can provide an elite weightlifter pulling obscene amounts in an Oly shoe, and with better form, and some of them are lifting world class weights regardless. I dont expect to sway anyone to this idea, but it works very well for me (700+ raw beltless clean deadlift at 225lbs), and for a couple very good powerlifters i know (who i HAVE influenced).

Jm666

Registered

I even deadlift in mine, but now that you mention it, there might be less strain on the back going flat for that eh?

Last edited:

superbeast

Registered
I go bare foot on deads over 3 plates. I also started squats bare foot and kind of liked it. First time squatting five plates was bare foot.

I even deadlift in mine, but now that you mention it, there might be less strain on the back going flat for that eh?
Back strain has ONLY to do with technique. I dont even feel my lower back after a PR deadlift day or competition. And i dont wear a belt.

GuyFawkes

Registered
I do everything in my adipower OLY shoes as well, squats all types clean dreads snatch dreads RDLS all Olympic lifts all lift except bench as well, would never do it any other way. I do prefer my 2004 adidas weight shoes for squaring a bit from my new ones but the difference is negligible.

I do everything in my adipower OLY shoes as well, squats all types clean dreads snatch dreads RDLS all Olympic lifts all lift except bench as well, would never do it any other way. I do prefer my 2004 adidas weight shoes for squaring a bit from my new ones but the difference is negligible.
The 2004 ones (black and carbon fiber color) had a slightly higher heel than the newer ones. That could be it? I liked mine too, for that reason, but they literally disintegrated..... and i mean held together by duct-tape..... so i had to replace them. I love the 2012 AdiPowers. Wish they had a slightly higher heel though.