What's new

Stop Coming into Shows in Bad Condition (article)

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator

Stop Coming into Shows in Bad Condition
By: JP Eskilsson, October 30, 2017

Over the past years, there have been many pro bodybuilders in the line ups who have been way out of shape, as a result of being either flat, fat or holding too much water, or a combination of all. The reasons have often blamed on bad diets, sloppy mentality or simply too many cheat meals during the diet.

Personally I believe that another factor needs to be raised, and that is that too many of them who fail to get in a killer condition are just afraid of looking small on stage.

In addition, it is worth noticing for competitors who feels like they fit the bill, or in other words are a little bit scared of looking small on stage, to work with getting into terms with their self-image before they begin a contest prep. There are a lot of sacrifices to be done during all the months dieting, where one factor is course is too look smaller, but hopefully look a lot better and more conditioned at the end of the road.

Here is the thing. big buys, are often known by their surroundings as just “big guys” in other words it is part of their identity and most of them like it too be that way, because it’s a reward from their work at the gym, and they get respect.

However, there is a problematic side of this since many of these guys get so caught up by the affirmation that as soon as they lose a few pounds their confidence shatters……and that is sad, as President Donald Trump would call it, sad!

Either like it or not, but there will be a day when you will be small anyway so why not getting used to that in a semi way already. Additionally this learning procedure begins with you realizing that conditioning is equally as important as size and symmetry.

Since a lot of bodybuilders dedicate months, years and decades to training, eating and juicing, they are athletes in many ways. That is also why every aspect of the game of bodybuilding needs to be taken very seriously to be successful to maximizing the chances of having a successful career. In addition, that means that you have to get in shape when you compete, simple as that! Thin about all those hours, hard workouts and money that’s put into your passion; isn’t it worth to also aim to really nail the conditioning in the next show as well?

The question one must ask himself is, if he´s serious or not, and wants to be a real bodybuilder, or just lift, train and eat from a hobby level and look good for the ladies.

If not, stop coming into shows in bad shape just because you´re afraid of looking small….there´s nothing to be scared about. Having a frail mentality like that, is not a healthy state of mind for anyone, so work on that before you might even consider being a competitor, so get a grip on yourself and realize that there are so many more sides to you than just being that big guy. If you work hard to build mass, you can also diet hard to win shows and win a better state of mind where you´re known for more than just being big.

Gaetano-x

Rookie
I never quite understood how someone could step out on stage looking like the above photo. I would be thoroughly embarrassed.

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- I agree to most of the article. Someone with all cognitive ability and motor skill should understand the criteria needed to step on stage to competitively compete. But there are exceptions whereas a competitor doesn't have a clue or whose trainer has steered them wrong. There's even some who enter contests nowadays to simply troll the audience (compete knowing full well they look horrible). These are some examples of what must be righted in today's competitions. The contests already drag on way to long with too many classes for a typical audience to endure and to stay excited. I believe competitors who show up to compete on contest day should be screened by a judging panel to determine whether they step on stage or not. I know it's cruel and discriminatory in this day and age but this is what needs to be done in my opinion.

However . . .

However, there is always certain exemptions to the rule. Just recently there was a fitness competition in Port Alberni (on Vancouver Island) in which a female competitor has down syndrome, autism, and an anxiety disorder. Obviously she's not in the same condition as her fellow competitors but nobody with a heart would expect that. This is a competitor who wishes to compete but is disabled, both physically and mentally. Herself and other inspirational competitors should be waived and be allowed to compete. I know they'll be those that say EVERYONE should be allowed to compete then but I don't see it that way.

Here's the story and video of Angel Magnussen competing on October 26th, 2017 >>>> https://www.cheknews.ca/port-alberni-fundraiser-angel-magnussen-competes-fitness-competition-380966/

66Chevy

Super Moderator
Thanks for posting that story on Angel, Dr.J...somehow I missed it in the news. A very selfless person, helping raise alot of money to help others with disabilities. She also sets a good example about putting in the hard work and effort despite her challenges.

Sorbate

My colon knows the difference
Banned
Im not big, but I was getting bodybuilder fat from too many years of bulking. So I wrapped my head around becoming smaller and finally doing a cut, a real single digit bodyfat cut. Now I was only going to be under 10% but my coach is so excited about me getting as tight as possible and treating this like I'm prepping for a contest. So that's what I'm doing.
I would love one day to step on stage, this will be a practice run for me.

But yeah, if you are going to do a contest, go all in or don't bother.

Zuespas

Seasoned VET
Im not big, but I was getting bodybuilder fat from too many years of bulking. So I wrapped my head around becoming smaller and finally doing a cut, a real single digit bodyfat cut. Now I was only going to be under 10% but my coach is so excited about me getting as tight as possible and treating this like I'm prepping for a contest. So that's what I'm doing.

If you get down under 10% you will look the part and most definitely will be a coulpe steps away from a very respectable condition for an amateur show. Most people at amateur shows claiming to be 4% are more likely 8 to 10%

Think about it for a minute say a 200lb man at a true 10%. If he lost 15 to 20lbs of bodyfat he’d be dead.

All to say a true 10% is really lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutch

Super Heavyweight

I was the same way, now I'm no where near stepping on stage, prolly never will be, but I seem to always be bulking, with a somewhat clean diet, I got up to 240 , looked big with a shirt on , but horrible with shirt off. So I really cleaned up diet and got down to 200. Looked and felt way better. Not sure about my bf % now but no where near 10%. Next step hire a coach and try to get in that 10-12% range, then maybe who knows , maybe on stage doing very small scale.

Blondemyth

Rookie
There’s something to be said about having 20” arms and wearing XL UA shirts that look painted on with a bit of a carb overload gut. I always found it hard dieting down and putting on the same clothes feeling like your putting on your dads shirt..and not even looking like a BB in clothes just a starving soul with abs that you can’t show off 8 months of the year. Some competitors come in off due to this body dismorphia. Anyone with a coach shouldn’t be...I came in one year not A1 cause I went from juniors to men’s open and new I was going to get killed used it as a building year. I see a lot of pros doing the same just doing shows to keep their feet wet and get out of the bulk but not entirely. I saw Luke SANDOE at the VANPRO show and he was massive but didn’t come dialed in, but he’s running away with his bulk now. K I’m rambling now. Good post on that gal at the NPAA show, blows my mind, her parents must be so proud.

No ego lifting

Super Heavyweight
There’s something to be said about having 20” arms and wearing XL UA shirts that look painted on with a bit of a carb overload gut. I always found it hard dieting down and putting on the same clothes feeling like your putting on your dads shirt..and not even looking like a BB in clothes just a starving soul with abs that you can’t show off 8 months of the year. Some competitors come in off due to this body dismorphia. Anyone with a coach shouldn’t be...I came in one year not A1 cause I went from juniors to men’s open and new I was going to get killed used it as a building year. I see a lot of pros doing the same just doing shows to keep their feet wet and get out of the bulk but not entirely. I saw Luke SANDOE at the VANPRO show and he was massive but didn’t come dialed in, but he’s running away with his bulk now. K I’m rambling now. Good post on that gal at the NPAA show, blows my mind, her parents must be so proud.

I have 18.5" arms and XL UA shirts look painted on.. At least XXL there haha

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Mnemonic

Super Heavyweight

Clearly we're all just jealous of this next generation of muscularity.