What's new

Strongman

Larks

Middleweight
Hey Monsters,
So I’ve mainly done conventional gym programs toggling between strength block to hypertrophy block and repeat but I found while strong(ish) my conditioning sucks. Was looking at some strongman programs to run for an 8-10 weeks to bring conditioning under load up & towards gpp.

If I was to do so,
What have you guys found as far as strongman training for conditioning?

Would strongman training be considered maintenance type work/volume for what I’ve built so far OR could it have backslide effects on other lifting aspects.

Thoughts/program suggestions?

Thanks again monsters!

Rucker

Super Heavyweight
No, I don't think you can count maintenance work or your existing volume necessarily. Yes if you jump into a bunch of extra conditioning it will affect your training. You have to slowly build it up, just like strength.

Strongman needs strength PLUS the ability to cover space and move things, so you need to get that conditioning up. Prowler, sled work, yoke carries, etc, lots of carries, i like farmers carry, suitcase carry, and waiters carries - on top of your existing lifting. Try and get used to moving those weights under fatigue, practice against a clock. But as you increase intensity in one area you might have to lower intensity in others. For example, you might be dropping some volume or accessories in the weight room to make up for extra work you're doing elsewhere, at least until you've acclimated.

Check out Allan Thrall / Untamed Strength on YouTube and Instagram, he does a lot of strong man stuff. He recently put out a new strongman training template you might find interesting.

Larks

Middleweight
Thanks Rucker,
That is my concern for sure, happy with #’s and they are all moving in right direction so bit nervous to mess with that. I’ve been thinking about just adding a conditioning day into the week and adjusting volumes a bit.

Allan Thrall is great as is Brian Alsrhue’s stuff. I actually picked up a lot of good info from both those channels. Alex Bromley has some good info as well.

Rucker

Super Heavyweight
Thanks Rucker,
That is my concern for sure, happy with #’s and they are all moving in right direction so bit nervous to mess with that. I’ve been thinking about just adding a conditioning day into the week and adjusting volumes a bit.

Allan Thrall is great as is Brian Alsrhue’s stuff. I actually picked up a lot of good info from both those channels. Alex Bromley has some good info as well.
Oh for sure, Alsruhe too. Just add it slowly, if you do it slowly enough you might not impact your numbers at all. I'll give you an example, I'm on my off week after having done a mock meet last Saturday. (my meet got moved to Sept). But I still have some stuff happening in July that has not been rescheduled yet, that I need conditioning for (running). So starting next week - running/conditioning.

My first running session? Probably going to be 3 Bronco legs (about 240m ea. with various directon changes) with a few minutes rest in between. That's it. But next time, 4 legs, etc. I don't really intend to change the way I lift, but I need to slowly add volume on the running (i'll probably do sled pushes in between running sessions, trying not to bang up my knees). Just slowly add more running volume on my conditioning days basically.

Hussell

Super Heavyweight
The best shape of my life was when I was doing frame carries for distance honestly that was a killer workout I would use the trap bar and load it up for 5 to 6 laps working up in weight each time and try for 40 to 50 feet per carry which would obviously drop the heavier I went, I highly recommend them if you want to add one item from strongman to your routine and relatively risk free as it is a straight pick at your sides and just walk.