What's new

Tennis elbow?

Lex

Super Heavyweight
I think I may have developed tennis elbow in both my elbows from too many dips/rope pulldowns. I have this constant aching in the bottom of my triceps/elbow area especially when I extend my arm and open up my fingers as wide as I can. I've recently taken month off all training to see if it would help but to no avail. I feel it's more so in the elbow joint itself rather than a muscle, but I could be wrong as it's difficult to pinpoint where the pain is exactly. Wondering what would be recommended to help heal this? I'm avoiding exercises that aggravate it like hammer curls, dips, pulldowns..

Thinking of using BPC-157, ice packs, ibuprofen, glucosamine. anything else I'm missing that would help?

gondar1

Middleweight
I think I may have developed tennis elbow in both my elbows from too many dips/rope pulldowns. I have this constant aching in the bottom of my triceps/elbow area especially when I extend my arm and open up my fingers as wide as I can. I've recently taken month off all training to see if it would help but to no avail. I feel it's more so in the elbow joint itself rather than a muscle, but I could be wrong as it's difficult to pinpoint where the pain is exactly. Wondering what would be recommended to help heal this? I'm avoiding exercises that aggravate it like hammer curls, dips, pulldowns..

Thinking of using BPC-157, ice packs, ibuprofen, glucosamine. anything else I'm missing that would help?
VERY light (I started at 3lbs no joke) eccentric only exercises 3 sets of 15 every day for the muscles affected. Depends on exactly what's wrong but an example would be normal or reverse DB wrist curls where you lift the DB with the empty hand and lower it for a 4 count using only the working hand. There is a tool called the Therabar that I have used that makes it simple and requires no other equipment

I could write pages on how amazing the results are sometimes with this. For about half the people I have lent mine to recovery is so fast I won't even say cause it will sound like I'm full of shit lol. Not talking about 110lb housewives either, serious athletes for the most part, one bud went from not being able to lift the milk jug out of the fridge to pain free in the gym in days, regular 4 plates on the bar type of guy.

Google some of the terms here, lots of videos out there.

Lex

Super Heavyweight
Thank you very much @gondar1 , I'll look into getting one of those. Will call around see if I can purchase locally otherwise I'm sure Amazon has them with fast shipping.

In the meantime I guess I should avoid most arm exercises at the gym even if they don't noticeably aggravate the elbows?

Edit: with the exception of previous mentioned light eccentric exercises

Last edited:

jamal123

Heavyweight
bpc157 , rest , and shockwave therapty . Also bro sometimes elbow pain can be from posture and or a pinched nerve in your neck.

gondar1

Middleweight
Thank you very much @gondar1 , I'll look into getting one of those. Will call around see if I can purchase locally otherwise I'm sure Amazon has them with fast shipping.

In the meantime I guess I should avoid most arm exercises at the gym even if they don't noticeably aggravate the elbows?

Edit: with the exception of previous mentioned light eccentric exercises
Well as usual their are a lot of variables to consider in how to approach this, the most important one is correctly diagnosing the injury but yeah chilling out for a short time might be a good idea, hopefully you respond as well to eccentrics as some of the guys I know have. Other things I would look into - "flossing" Kelly Starrett has good vids on this iirc and Prescription 20% Voltaren works wonders in some cases. I use it as a preventive measure sometimes before working or working out.

But do you really want to use anti inflammatory measures? Here are two things I had bookmarked - http://www.therugbyrepublic.com/performance/2015/8/24/ice-is-for-corpses-recovery-tips-with-dr-kelly-starrett

I've not read these in a while so they may well contradict some things I've said lol, Good Luck Sir

Reactions: Lex

Cheapshot

Heavyweight
Ive tried a million things. I had gollfers elbow and tennis elbow in both arms. From lifting heavy and repetitive work. The red theraband helped for sure. Bpc157 helped but I used it for months and probably have over a grand into each elbow. The only supplement that I would recommend is vit b5. I dont belive the voltaren helped me. Seemed like it actually made the process longer, although it took away the pain enough to keep working. Tb500 also helped to take away the pain but I dont feel it helped the healing process.a simple stretch of your hand each way will help as well if you do it a few times a day. I start all my workouts with 100 light tricep rope pushdowns now to get lots of blood flowing, which was recommend by physio Rick. I have had any issues since. Im sorry to say this, but its gonna be a long process to heal them fully. You can forget about any heavy tricep work for a long time. Close grip bench was about the only thing I could do without re injuring myself.

Last edited:

TRTDiesel

Heavyweight
Used to arm wrestle a lot and anti inflammatory’s was the only way I could get on top of it. Never took them steady but nothing beat them for getting on top of the inflammation then they could heal up.

Harley00

Super Heavyweight
Lot of good things on hear, b5 b6 etc are all great and for carpel tunnel, and tendons,ill only add that everyone should start adding in collogen peptides , will take a bit to get the effects but not only will you get effects on joints etc you will get great benefits on gut health and healing your intestinal wall

Justpicaname5

Super Heavyweight
I have chronic tennis elbow. From years of training as well as my career.
I have had it looked at by my doctor over the years. Tried his recommendation excercises. Anti inflammatory. Eventually surgery will be my only option. For now I can mitigate the pain/damage.

I had to stop doing certain exercises. For me, these are the worst. Dips, skull crushers one hand overhead tricep extensions, bb incline press, and overhead DB press.
I substitute DB/BB for machines on exercises that hurt. I use cables for skull crushers and do then incline.. no pain.
I bought a set of elbow sleeves recently, they really help.

My advice ,really, really warm up your elbows... I'll do like 10 light sets of rope pulldowns, before starting chest/triceps stuff.

As for supplements, the only thing I found to help is high doses of fish oil like 3000-4000mg epa/dha

Best to deal with this before its irreversible like mine.
When an exercise hurts your elbows STOP... make sure elbows are warmed up, always good form elbows tucked in etc... watching when throwing DB up to your shoulder for overhead press and things... try to have a workout partner pass you the weights.
Good luck!!!

Goldenrod

VET
everyone who lifts long enough will have an issue with their elbow as there is a lot of stress on that joint. Great suggestions above but I will tell you helped what me with a lot of wrist, forearm, and elbow issues.
Might sound strange but I bought squeeze balls and I don't mean the stress easy kind. I have 4 sets and each one is progressively harder. I started doing two sets of 25 with the easier ones. Now, no matter what I am training I warm up with 2 sets of 100 reps each with the hardest ball the squeeze. One set with it in my palm and using mostly fingers and the second between by thumb and pointer finger.
This healed my wrist tendonitis I battled with, forearm tendonitis I had, and now my left elbow from skull crushers.

I did use BPC157 500-1000 mg in the areas affected as well once a day, and always warm up well, and stretch the shit out of the area when done working out.
I guess everyone is different but I don't believe in leaving an injury (unless serious) for more than a few days while you ice it. (take curcumin instead of IBUprofen) but as tough as it is mentally I have lifted with my wife's 3 lbs weights, then 5 lb weights, then 10, 15, etc.
Basically taking a step back and keeping the range of motion and blood to the area but pushing it so I can feel a little pain but nothing too much. Example would be broomstick bench press - yes, I have benched a massive broomstick after a bad left pectoral pull but slowly built back up to pressing plates.

If its been months and you stopped and they aren't better, you need active therapy - see a sports therapist who knows different methods to facilitate healing and will help get you moving again.
Good luck

Last edited:

Bstatic

Super Heavyweight
I heard BPC grows new blood vessels and I imagine that could cause issues after using it time and time again. Anti inflammation drugs can limit gains as well but it may not because you have extra inflammation going on. I would just take a break. It's good to take a break from working out tons for not only your kidneys but you could end up growing even more. You could also take workouts that cause pain out for a month and train your lower body and other parts more often. Some body builders use that to bring up lagging body parts and it can be really fun and cool to do.

CurtisP

VET
Here is a stretch I do daily. I have been spinning wrenches for 17 years and training hard my elbows take a beating. This helps. My forearms tighten up and pull on the elbow a lot. Stretching out like this daily has changed my work and training completely

*edit* link added

Last edited:

Lumetic

Rookie
There is a tool called the Therabar that I have used that makes it simple and requires no other equipment

I could write pages on how amazing the results are sometimes with this. For about half the people I have lent mine to recovery is so fast I won't even say cause it will sound like I'm full of shit lol. Not talking about 110lb housewives either, serious athletes for the most part, one bud went from not being able to lift the milk jug out of the fridge to pain free in the gym in days, regular 4 plates on the bar type of guy.

Have dealt with a tennis elbow issue for the last 6 months and not finding consistent relief from any of the mild treatments I tried,
having nothing else to loose except a few bucks, and knowing Gondar is generally a pretty sharp fella, I purchased a set of these Thera Bars.

Sooo....yeah, the shit is working nearly was miraculously as he described. Day 3...4 and I am feeling significantly better.
It kinda of boggles my mind a bit, however I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks! I'd likely never have given these a shot, even if I did stumble across them on my own.