What's new

The Death of Gyms? Over 50% of Gym Members Won’t Return (article)

Hussell

Super Heavyweight
Once I get the rest of my equipment when I'm working 12 hour days I will lift at home no more commercial gym on work days and during my 6 days off I will go to the gym I like getting out of the house and besides camping in the summer all I do is train work and hang with the family so getting out of the house is important especailly when the kiddos are in school.

Last edited:

nomorals

Rookie
-- Gyms in my area we're already on the precipice even before all this COVID business. In fact, two of the city's major players closed their doors permanently -- Steve Nash Fitness and Vancouver Island Fitness (ref >>> V.I. Fitness Chain Implodes) Gyms are a fickle business and being a former gym owner my self I can tell you . . . it sucked! There's many reasons it sucked that I won't get into now, but let me tell you the day I rid myself of the burden and became a regular gym customer, lemme just say, it was a very joyous day.

As the financial grip tightens I expect many more gyms will close their doors. I know many of my acquaintances have taken to assembling their very own in-home or backyard gyms and won't be going back. I myself belong to a rec. center that will likely never go out of business but as of yet there's absolutely no word of when the doors will open back up. Am I bothered? No really. It's just made more time available for other hobbies I enjoy. Right now I just bide my time and wait patiently for the rec. center to open back up and then I'll return . . . weak as a lamb of course :cry:

100% Dr. My friend (older than me by a few years) but he started as a personal trainer local to where you are and I am and eventually opened his own studio....did very well for himself drives a Lambourgini now but he's a hard working mofo and even he said he would never open an actual gym. His 3 or 4 locations are just small studios often in industrial areas etc where he just built up solid, loyal clients. Said the same thing you said, no money in regular gyms.

rated_rko

Super Heavyweight
if i had a garage I would make one myself, but for me the whole, get to the gym, escape the work and my other half and be there in the gym just is a mental break too not just for the exercise aspect for me personally.
I just started reading articles of gyms reopened in the US and a few videos, of some people on the iG making there way back in already. Super jealous of that. were going on what 10 weeks now?

Mathb33

Super Heavyweight
Everything will fall back to normal. At least 80% of the people who said they wouldn’t go back will eventually go back months and months after its reopening when they feel safer. It’s one thing to answer a survey when you’re in panic mode.... doesn’t mean much to me. Every single little things will be just like before in a year.. we are humans after all.

rated_rko

Super Heavyweight
got an email from goodlife.
they are making plans of proposal on how to reopen. one thing i thought would happen is online booking. which they said they would.
So ill probably book 530-6am and I have a multiple location membership. so ill see which between the 2 close to me i can go in the mornings when they open up.

Dutch

Super Heavyweight
I will probably return...... I have an amazing home gym , but unfortunately I travel for work during the week in Ontario , which the goodlife’s aren’t even close to opening in the Peterborough area, which puts me only training 2-3 days a week when I come home on weekends. I’ve looked at Kijiji for something like a body solid or power tec unit to put at my weekday home lol but either they are impossible to find or the prices are completely out to lunch in most cases. It’s a sad time for us right now

kaly11

Super Heavyweight
A few gyms have closed their doors here and have had their equipment etc on auction sites, it's sad to see.