What's new

The Game Changers Documentary

66Chevy

Super Moderator
Brought to you by Arnold and James Cameron among others this focuses on the common misconception in society that athletic performance cannot be achieved without consuming animal protein. It is in theatres on select dates, I am going to go Monday night with Mrs.Chev to check it out. I am interested to learn more, as both my wife and GP would prefer to see me move away from animal proteins in the future for health and environmental considerations. This will obviously not be for everyone here but could make for some good discussions.

Interesting . Thanks for sharing, I loved the last line "Have you ever seen an ox eating meat". So true.

I follow "jonathan irizarry" on YouTube and I was shocked to find out he is a vegan bodybuilder when you look at his size.

Sorbate

My colon knows the difference
Banned
Brought to you by Arnold and James Cameron among others this focuses on the common misconception in society that athletic performance cannot be achieved without consuming animal protein. It is in theatres on select dates, I am going to go Monday night with Mrs.Chev to check it out. I am interested to learn more, as both my wife and GP would prefer to see me move away from animal proteins in the future for health and environmental considerations. This will obviously not be for everyone here but could make for some good discussions.

Health yes, environmental has been blown out of proportion. Food animals can graze on land unsuitable for planting, but fertile ground and gmo/chemicals are needed to grow enough product per acre to make it feasible for crops. They are mowing down rainforests to plant crops as well, see people think of our strict guidelines for spraying and such here, but don’t realize in most other lower wealth countries there are no restrictions.
Plus there is transportation costs. Cant grow plants in the winter in Canada, unless I’m heated greenhouses, but you can grow cows and chickens locally.

But hey I don’t eat near as much meat anymore either. I have been supplementing in other foods as an experiment.

Health yes, environmental has been blown out of proportion. Food animals can graze on land unsuitable for planting, but fertile ground and gmo/chemicals are needed to grow enough product per acre to make it feasible for crops. They are mowing down rainforests to plant crops as well, see people think of our strict guidelines for spraying and such here, but don’t realize in most other lower wealth countries there are no restrictions.
Plus there is transportation costs. Cant grow plants in the winter in Canada, unless I’m heated greenhouses, but you can grow cows and chickens locally.

But hey I don’t eat near as much meat anymore either. I have been supplementing in other foods as an experiment.
Ya, instead of letting cows graze the rough unusable ground we scorch the earth with corn and then drive it to the feedlot. It's funny how people come to the conclusion that meat is bad for the environment.

It's really just the race to the bottom in price that is bad for the environment. It's the same reason that beef can be unhealthy. If you finish the thing up on corn in a feedlot to make it fat then ya, it's gonna be hard on the arteries. Actual grass FINISHED beef is very uncommon. A cow that spent its entire lifespan grazing the hillside and being supplemented only hay offers a completely different outcome health wise and environmentally.

Really I should try to hunt a deer!

Deetermined

Rookie
Thanks for the share Chevy. Had no idea this was coming out and looks like something I need to check out for sure.
Got to say, I would have no problem getting rid of chicken and fish etc but saying goodbye to my steak and occasional smoked ribs would hurt a little, lol.

Sorbate

Banned
Ya, instead of letting cows graze the rough unusable ground we scorch the earth with corn and then drive it to the feedlot. It's funny how people come to the conclusion that meat is bad for the environment.

It's really just the race to the bottom in price that is bad for the environment. It's the same reason that beef can be unhealthy. If you finish the thing up on corn in a feedlot to make it fat then ya, it's gonna be hard on the arteries. Actual grass FINISHED beef is very uncommon. A cow that spent its entire lifespan grazing the hillside and being supplemented only hay offers a completely different outcome health wise and environmentally.

Really I should try to hunt a deer!
Its all about money. The new best thing to make money is the whole vegetarian movement. No food company really cares about the environment, maybe enough so that it will be sustainable enough so that they can keep making profit, but actually care, lol.

Truthfully we need to have a reduction in human population if we want to have a positive influence on the earth.. In 1st world nations it is happening, but then the other countries overpopulate and it more than makes up for it.

66Chevy

Super Moderator
Wife and I went last night and it was a pretty full house. We both found it very informative and entertaining. It really challenged they way we as bodybuilders think about protein, and turned it on it’s head. I would encourage everyone here to watch it with an open mind.

As I said before, it won’t be right for everyone and I’m not about to change my eating habits overnight but I do plan to do more of my own research. Maybe eventually I will move towards reducing my reliance on animal proteins, the real life examples they used all had marked improvements in multiple health markers. That would be the main factor for me if I did decide to make some major changes as I get into my late 40’s and early 50’s.

HungryMfkr

Rookie
I might look like an idiot but what the hell a diet should look like then ???

HungryMfkr

Rookie
Not at all man...I don’t really know either.

That is why I think it would take a fair bit of research to come up with a suitable meal plan for my goals.
If we look at gorillas who pack quite a bit of muscle mass they eat nuts, grains and fruit all day , not sure how it would suits the lifestyle of any of us 🤣🤷‍♂️

Looking foward to that documentary, very curious.

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
Rookie
Drawing analogies to animals like apes, elephants, bulls etc- makes no sense to me. They have completely different genetic make up. All the apex predators eat meat. Not shitting on this doc or veg diets- is I could find a way to stay lean and get jacked / big on plant proteins (without eating heavily processed soy) I’m all game

Testbear

Rookie
I might look like an idiot but what the hell a diet should look like then ???
For vegan athletes generally...Very high carbs, medium protein, lower fat intake.

That Patrick baboumian guys breakfast is something like 10 bananas blended up with vegan protein powder. You’re looking at 300g of carbs right there and 1000 calories. 35 g fibre. I’d shit my Pants for days buddy

Rice, legumes, bananas, oats, potatoes would be staples.

The issue with these diets for the bigger guys who need lots of calories is all the fibre intake you’re going to get. And is 80,100+ grams of fibre a day really a good idea? I don’t know

durk

Rookie
Open to the idea, but most vegans look less muscular than your average couch potato.

Also getting lean seems like it would be way harder as a vegan as far as cutting diets go.

Sorbate

Banned
They have vegan butchers in Toronto lol. Just bread some mashed up cauliflower into patties, bread em and sell them to the hippies at 3x the price. You could introduce new vegan options lol
Already do some vegan products, was thinking about taking on sausage and patties. But multiple sausage types like meat would be like.

You would be stupid as an entrepreneur to ignore this trend. Usually there is a mix of meat eaters and vegetarians. Might as well take all their money, lol,

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
Rookie
They have vegan butchers in Toronto lol. Just bread some mashed up cauliflower into patties, bread em and sell them to the hippies at 3x the price. You could introduce new vegan options lol
These are butchers selling vegan options as well?
Or like vegan butchers only selling vegan items?