What's new

The truth about intermittent fasting

Pewbert

Rookie
I did not say cure Alzheimer, as we cannot cure it yet once established. but indirectly, I would say a strong/leading preventative in development of the chronic illness.
I honestly don't understand how you can sit there and still believe that IF does not aid in the improvement and correction of heart disease through the direct improvement of insulin resistance.
I'll expand below.

I do have access and have read the two controlled 10 group rat study, and honestly it does have great data, albeit unnecessary to prove my statements.
By comparing two isolated groups of bio-identical rats, they concluded that:

1) Alzheimers reduced bone mineral density in the spine and femur, intermittent fasting reduced that.
2) Abdominal fat mass reduced in IF group (Why is abdominal relevant? Insulin resistance and fatty liver)
3) IF decreased food intake without changing energy expenditure (caloric/nutrient efficiency, improved insulin resistance & glucose oxidation)
4) IF increased fat oxidation as a fuel source compared to the increasing glucose oxidation in the Alzheimer's group.
5) IF restored insulin resistance in the fasting state and decreased serum glucose level. As a result, oral glucose was administered and the IF group increased insulin secretion for fuel oxidation.
6) Alzheimers deteriorated short and spatial memory function, IF prevented it.
7) Cortisol was elevated by Alzheimers, IF decreases it.
8) IF improved dyslipidemia and liver damage index (dyslipidemia is the abnormal amount of lipids in the blood)(aka the beginning of heart disease).
9) IF improved low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and serum triglyceride levels, meanwhile alzheimers damages them.

So right out the gate, I picked out 9 positive scientifically proven benefits of IF pertaining to cognitive function, deterioration and energy metabolism in a study based off of 20 rats. Useless right? on rats? Rubbish.

Why do we use rats? 95% of all lab animals are rodents. convenience, price, maintenance, adaptation to new environments, quick reproduction, short lifespan. Allowing us to see long term studies in several generations of inbred bio-identical rats, in a relatively short period of time. Rats are used as models because their genetic, biological and behavioral characteristics closely resemble those of humans.
Scientists can even breed genetically-altered transgenic mice that carry genes similar to those that carry human diseases.

Currently rats are used as models for nearly everything in medical literature, if not indefinitely, at least deemed safe first before human studies. To neglect data on Alzheimers with data based on rats, one also must neglect existing literature on Hypertension, Diabetes, Cataracts, Obesity, Seizures, Respiratory problems, Deafness, Parkinsons, Cystic Fibrosis, HIV, AIDs, Heart disease, Muscular dystrophy and spinal cord injuries.

You go to the doctor for medicines for treating various illnesses, all of which are initially or currently tested on rodents.
To say that data on rats is trivial is just ignorant, I don't see you volunteering to have amyloids of Alzheimer's disease infused into your hippocampus for scientific research on degenerative brain disease.

That is my stance on that study and the efficacy of rats as medical trials.

How Intermittent Fasting prevents Alzheimer's disease

As for the mechanism on how Alzheimers develops? It's relatively simple.
Alzheimer's and Dementia are essentially the brain being starved of fuel over an extended period of time.
Glucose is the primary fuel source of the brain, but there are certain factors that can prevent the absorption of glucose.

This specific case has to do with the blood brain barrier and the insulin connection.
Insulin allows glucose to be absorbed in cells, brain and muscle.
You know what insulin resistance is.

Despite how much insulin is being pumped out by the pancreas, the brain is not utilizing the insulin. This further worsens the condition by signalling to the pancreas to produce even more insulin because there isn't enough for the brain to absorb fuel.
As a result, the brain starts to develop a protein fibrous tissue known as an amyloid.
People with amyloids & Alzheimers are proven to have a low glucose metabolism.
A symptom of this is craving sweets, because the brain is not getting enough glucose due to insulin resistance.
(Ironic that long term diabetics typically develop memory/cognitive issues and eventually Alzheimers/Dementia).

Every time you eat, you spike insulin.
You know how to reduce insulin right? Exercise, reduce carbs, less meals, less meal frequency. Intermittent Fasting.
Therefore Intermittent fasting indirectly improves our chances at avoiding and preventing cognitive & memory impairment, Alzheimers and Dementia.
This is further proven by the development of a new product, Intranasal Insulin. This is a nasal spray insulin that connects to nerve fibers in the Olfactory Bulb, bypassing the blood brain barrier and going directly to the brain. This new nasal spray insulin has shown major improvements in memory. There's lots of literature and studies on this product pertaining to memory and alzheimers if you're curious.

Minor to moderate memory decline can be reversed and improved. The Hippocampus is the part of the brain responsible for motivation, emotion, learning and memory. The Hippocampus is one of the only areas in the brain where Neurogenesis can occur, which is the development of new nerve cells. Intermittent fasting is the leading cause of increased BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor), which strengthens brain signaling and synapses. Intermittent fasting also stimulates the production of stem cells, which can be utilized in the development of new brain tissue.

How Intermittent Fasting prevents Heart disease

What is heart disease?
Generally refers to conditions that involve narrowed or blocked blood vessels that can lead to a heart attack, chest pain (angina) or stroke.
Other heart conditions, such as those that affect your heart's muscle, valves or rhythm, are also considered forms of heart disease.

LDL is a lipoprotein that transports cholesterol. The body needs cholesterol to rebuild cells. Whenever you damage your cells, such as gym, LDL brings cholesterol to the cell. The cholesterol is removed from the LDL to repair the cells and the LDL then returns to the Liver to be recycled (normal situation). HDL brings the cholesterol from your cell or arteries back to the Liver, very important to clear bad cholesterol (small dense).

Ultimately what happens is an impaired digestive system compromises the gut bacteria/immune barrier. the immune cells start to kill gut bacteria which releases part of the bacterial membrane known as endotoxin. endotoxin then gets into your blood stream and binds to LDL. Any time you have inflammation (continual scheduled eating of refined carbs & sugars), you increase your LDL production. Endotoxins are very damaging to the system and can eventually cause sepsis and death. The body has a response mechanism of soaking up the endotoxin cholesterols so it doesn't damage your tissue and organs.

The problem is when the Endotoxins bind to the LDL, they use the cholesterol receptor. As the LDL returns to the Liver for recycling, it can no longer transport cholesterol because the endotoxin is taking up the receptor already. So the body has no choice but to continually have these LDL proteins with endotoxins circulating in our blood stream.
Endotoxins are a signal for your immune cells to attack and remove the bacteria. But since it's cholesterol, the immune cells cannot kill it. So the immune cells now secrete pro-inflammatory cytokines, which recruit more, which eventually forms what's known as a plaque. Now the small LDL with the endotoxins has a bunch of immune cells attached to it, so it's now a small dense particle and it's stuck in your circulation.
Eventually the plaque ruptures on the damaged arterial lining and forms a blood clot, limiting or blocking flow entirely, resulting in stroke and/or death. This process is commonly referred to as Atherosclerosis.

Interesting, but what does that have to do with Insulin or Intermittent Fasting?

IF limits many risk factors for the development and occurrence of cardiovascular diseases.
By affecting the biochemical transformations of lipids, it decreases body mass and has a positive influence on lipid profiles by reducing the concentration of total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL.
IF inhibits the development of atherosclerotic plaque by reducing the concentration of inflammatory markers.
IF diet alters the levels of aidpokines (+adiponectin, -leptin, -resistin) which inhibits the adhesion of endotoxin cholesterol cells to vascular cells, further reducing the formation of plaque and limiting the collection and migration of cells to the arterial membrane.
Since IF causes an increase in BDNF (explained above under alzheimers prevention section), it lowers the systolic and diastolic blood pressure by activating the parasympathetic system. BDNF causes acetylcholine to be released by the vagus nerve to reduce the frequency of heart contractions.
IF has been documented in obese and diabetics to improve glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity.
IF limits cardiac hypertrophy.
IF reduces stress and inflammation in the body.

So in conclusion, heart disease is caused by obvious factors such as:
Blood pressure, cholesterol, obesity, diabetes, exercise and stress.
Every single one of these problems can be prevented and/or corrected by intermittently fasting, thus preventing heart disease/atherosclerosis/cardiovascular disease and even Alzheimer's disease.

Fasting & Alzheimer's Disease sources:

20 rat Alzheimer's study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29307281

Connection of brain insulin resistance in Alzheimer's patients associated with IGF-1 resistance, IRS-1 dysregulation and cognitive decline
https://www.jci.org/articles/view/59903#SEC2

Brain Insulin Resistance and Deficiency as Therapeutic targets in Alzheimer's Disease.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3349985/

Brain Insulin Resistance identified as possible new link between Alzheimer's Disease, Diabetes
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160407221709.htm

How does brain insulin resistance develop in Alzheimer's Disease
https://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260(13)02918-X/fulltext

Midlife Insulin Resistance affects brain Function (connection to increased risk of Alzheimer's with Type 2 Diabetic Patients)
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/848902

Insulin in the Brain: Its pathophysiological implications for states related with central insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and alzheimer's disease.
http://europepmc.org/articles/pmc4191295

Sugar for the brain: the role of glucose in physiological and pathological brain function
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3900881/

Fasting & Heart Disease sources:

Intermittent Fasting in Cardiovascular Disorders - An Overview
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6471315/

Intermittent Fasting and Human Metabolic Health
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/

Fasting: Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Applications
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

Increased gut microbiota diversity after fasting
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4452615/

Metabolic Endotoxemia Initiates Obesity and Insulin Resistance
https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/56/7/1761?ijkey=799d05c524ff63a421e4ff717e9aea8ab0fd74f6&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Intermittent fasting confers protection in CNS autoimmunity by altering the gut microbiota
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6460288/

✌
Oh shit.....Big M droppin mother fukin knowledge bombs lol

-Pewbert

Bigtuna84

Vet
I’m late to the party but I’ll chime in my 2 cents. First and foremost, intermittent fasting won’t be in anyones best interest if they are enhanced with the goal of attaining upmost muscle mass/tissue accruel possible. IMO regular portion meals spiking mTOR/protein synthesis spaced out every let’s say 3-4 hours is going to be way more beneficial in having a FULL and DENSE physique. So IM won’t be located on any lists of top most effective diets if you want to get big I think most of us can agree on that point.

That being said, I’ve seen it work on the general population (having only endogenous hormones) having a metabolic and a genetic disadvantage looking for lower/single digit body fat.

In terms of some of the claims and studies thrown up in this post the only notion I am going to agree with is fasting improving insulin sensitivity. I won’t speak about the others because I’m not completely sold.

I’m summation, its a useful tool within its perameters and has its place. It will work to produce a lean physique. It’s also a great way to have a mental break from a bodybuilding lifestyle where you are a slave to food everyday.

Last edited:

Testbear

Rookie
I’m gonna chime In here from a mental health perspective. I tried IF a few years ago. I was lazy to make breakfast and I like coffee. A lot.

I definitely noticed more energy. Not the good kind of energy. anxious energy. everything needs to be done in a panic. By the time 11 hit, all I could think about was food. Craving fatty meals, Like burgers and fries or pizza. then after I’d eat I felt like a tired bag of shit and slugged through the rest of my day.

from a mental health perspective coming from someone who’s battled depression and alcoholism (coming from both sides of the family and from pretty much everyone). Don’t underestimate a hearty breakfast high in protein and fat. Even Jordan Peterson recommends it, and I tend to agree with most things he says. It’s important for us crazy fucks to start our day with some good nutrition. can really Slow things down and ground us and allow us to enter our day a little calmer

Mnemonic

Rookie
I’m gonna chime In here from a mental health perspective. I tried IF a few years ago. I was lazy to make breakfast and I like coffee. A lot.

I definitely noticed more energy. Not the good kind of energy. anxious energy. everything needs to be done in a panic. By the time 11 hit, all I could think about was food. Craving fatty meals, Like burgers and fries or pizza. then after I’d eat I felt like a tired bag of shit and slugged through the rest of my day.

from a mental health perspective coming from someone who’s battled depression and alcoholism (coming from both sides of the family and from pretty much everyone). Don’t underestimate a hearty breakfast high in protein and fat. Even Jordan Peterson recommends it, and I tend to agree with most things he says. It’s important for us crazy fucks to start our day with some good nutrition. can really Slow things down and ground us and allow us to enter our day a little calmer
Hey Testbear, I understand mental health. A little too well; pharmaceutically induced, traumatically induced and dietary induced.
Unfortunately lost an uncle to both depression and substance abuse, and know far too many nearing that state.
I also follow and listen to Dr. Jordan Peterson, brilliant psychologist.

I am going to come at your fasting experience in a logical standpoint, please don't take anything personal or offensively.

Were you eating in the appropriately timed windows? If you don't fast enough (16+hrs) or haven't fasted long enough (2-4 wks) to adapt, you will suffer from typical starvation problems along with the accompanying effects on the brain as a result. When you eat breakfast for your whole life, you can't just stop and expect things to instantly adjust to nothing. Once you hit the adapted stage, the "theory" is your body becomes more efficient at breaking down fat cells for fuel. In addition to that, your internal organs produce a varying amount of glucose as fuel for the body/brain once adapted (primarily liver). This process is known as Gluconeogenesis, it allows us to maintain healthy glucose levels throughout the day without the use of food. As a result of this, someone regularly fasting will no longer have hunger throughout the day.

Cravings go hand in hand with traditional starvation. You deplete your glycogen stores, your brain and body craves glucose, your blood sugars are low... it all makes sense really. Though looking at your cravings, you may have been deficient in a few things.
All of the above cravings are very obviously high in sodium. bodybuilding diets are typically low in sodium and we sweat out a lot of our electrolytes anyway, especially someone your size. You would need more sodium than your average person, let alone enhanced athlete levels with a clean diet. You can look a bit further too, perhaps your body was interested in the B12/Zinc/Iron in the meat, or the calcium in the cheese, or even the potassium in the french fries. Maybe you were craving something very high glycemic to give you quick fuel like the bun/fries/pizza dough. It was probably just salt, but usually our body is quite intelligent with its cravings.

And as I mentioned in my "essay" post the other day haha, your brain's primary fuel source is glucose.
When your brain is starved of glucose/fuel, it does not function optimally.
Of course you were experiencing anxiety, stress, panic and hunger... You were starving your body and brain of fuel.

Having said that, this is all assuming you just skipped breakfast and drank black coffee for a couple of days/weeks.
If you gave it an actual effort, disregard what I said.

Hopefully you're in a place where you have control over your mental health brother, once again hope this post didn't come across negatively.

TS1

Rookie
From a mind>matter, self control, empowerment, etc etc POV - the ability to fast 14, 16, 20, 24 hrs is a very powerful tool for self-strengthening onself mentally. If one can control what and when they consume, they can pretty much conquer anything. mind > matter

I too listen to Jordan Peterson and the group of thinkers that surround him. He has helped me from being sucked into society's sickened mental state. The mind is the most important thing we have now. Best to take care of it best we can.

Pewbert

Rookie
I've been using fasting for the first time during this epic blast I'm currently on
Seems to have worked very well so far
Started blast at 220lbs at 5'7'' with a solid 4 pack in the upstairs bathroom with the good lighting lol
Anyway 10wks later and I'm 229lbs for last 8 mornings and much leaner and tighter and fuller then ever before

So I got no complaints with the diet
I wake up at 5am and drink coffee and cream I realize this technically breaks the fast
But I must have coffee to help start the day along with my cannabis also it doen't seem to be fuking anything up with the diet that I've noticed
I just don't want to stuff myself with food all day long at this point in my life

With this diet I eat from 930am till 700pm
I eat 3 meals and one protien healthy fats shake about 1500cals worth of shake
And each meal is 2 cups white rice and 8-10 oz beef about 900-1000cals 3 times per day
Plus 5-6-tbsp peanutbutter and 2-3 bananas per day
So about 4500-5000cals a day

-Pewbert

Squatstein

Peterson for prime minister?

Dr. Rhonda Patrick and Dr. David Sinclair have some interesting podcasts with Joe Rogan where they speak about intermittent fasting. Dr. Rhonda Patrick hosts some of her own podcasts also and her recent one is with Dr. David Sinclair. Looking forward to this one!

Cheers