What's new

The virus and your take

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
there are other threads here on this and some people make light of this and that is their choice. The facts are every province now has been affected - schools are shut down for two weeks minimum after March break and if work if still going - parent may have no child care. Further, do you want your child in an area with a lot of other children and care takers.
Universities and colleges, sports, any large event has been cancelled except Dana White and the UFC says he talked to Trump and he is going to hold the event.
if you have little ones - there is concern, parents in community care facilities - unable to visit as they no longer let people in, I have a relative on an immune suppressant for ulcerative colitis and the advice is to wash your hand frequently. People are dying, borders are being shut down, and if your out of Canada they are advising to come home as they may shut the border. I may be getting some of this wrong but the point being - this is new ground. This virus affected animals before but never humans and 'they' can't figure out how it jumped - someone suggested eating bats.
The vaccine they are working on is a year and a half a way before trials start if I heard correct and look at the folks in Italy who can't leave their home. Slowly, I'm seeing gyms close, Gov workers being told to stay home as a precaution as of this morning. Over - reaction maybe but I would rather an over - reaction and the immune compromised, elderly or already sick folks don't get it and die. Some people even said this was a hoax and I find it hard to fathom how people dying is a hoax. I have loved ones I worry about and people are panicking for fuck sake and we can't buy some essentials.
4 more precautionary cases have been found and now they have to try to back track to see who they may have exposed.
Say what you want but this is serious and I am not stressed over it. I don't stress over things I can't control. All I can do is try to have a strong immune system so I bought:
deep immune, still take c, d and some concoctions I always take.
My employees are now self quarantines for 2 weeks when they get back from vacation so we are short handed. If this gets worse, businesses in this province will shut down with no end date to opening. In some provinces - this is already happening.
I probably repeated a lot that has been already said but I do consider this serious but I go about my life like I did before. I'm sure I missed a lot as well.
I wish the best to all the members here and their families and loved ones. Lets hope this ends soon.
Take care,
GR

millenium girl

CJM’s GROUPIE
More and more people are tested positive here and schools, universities are closed, events like concerts, sports (soccer, swimming, athletics, races ....) are cancelled until mid April. Borders are not closed (yet). Supermarkets are crowded (people keep fighting). Some non urgent surgeries and medical exams are cancelled. On week-ends all ahops/stores are closed except supermarkets and pharmacies.
I'm supposed to go to London next week. Not sure I will. I'm not scared but if they close the border I won't be able to (I wouldn't mind being stuck in London .....).

TS1

Super Heavyweight
WE ARE FUCKED.
The End.

66Chevy

Super Moderator
I agree with some others that said the media is responsible for sometimes blowing things out of proportion....HOWEVER, I have another thought on this and I agree with @Goldenrod in that it may be better to do everything we can now to try and get ahead of this and curb it before it gets out of control...my thought is comparing it to what I know in the fire service.

When our small department gets called out for a house fire, all 3 of our stations respond. The first arriving engine does a 'size-up' which is a quick, basic summary of what the actual conditions on scene are and what resources are needed to safely handle the situation. Sometimes its only a small kitchen fire or room and contents fire that 1 or 2 crews can safely and quickly handle on their own, but sometimes the place is fully involved in fire and there may be people who need rescuing...so obviously in that situation we need everyone available.

Now if we were to only send 1 station or single company response and when they arrive determine that 'holy shit, this place is ripping' and need everyone available those extra resources are now delayed in arriving, and while they are now responding the fire is now growing exponentially whereas if everyone had been there from the beginning they would been have able to get a handle on things much quicker and in turn help people sooner greatly improving their chance of survival.

My point is, yes these do seem like drastic measures as far as shutting everything down and negatively impacting our daily lives in regards to COVID-19 but I think its better to throw whatever we can do to get a handle on it now rather than keep doing next to nothing ( thanks Trudeau you pussy) and let it grow and spread through our population like wildfire. And if we take all those measures and it works, then people will likely say we overreacted, but at least we potentially saved countless people from getting it or dying from it. Just my opinions...

HungryMfkr

Super Heavyweight
My take is that it's part of life now. No matter what. Panic or no panic it's in the bundle. The only thing all those measure are doing is giving the healthcare some time to turn around. The medias did a great job at getting everyone frantic.

Wod

Seasoned VET
What people need to understand is that a first world country like Italy just had over 300 people die in 24 hours. Furthermore, they're literally denying health care to people over 80, basically because they're a lost cause. Things have to be really damn bad for a first world country to do that. We'd be fools to take this lightly after witnessing the mess in Italy.

The problem is that it's not that the virus is super deadly. People die from this virus because of the pneumonia component. Usually pneumonia is not that hard to deal with, but what if you have 10 people that are struggling to breathe and you only have 3 medical professionals to deal with those 10 people when you usually have 3 medical professionals helping 1 patient ? Yeah...the medical staff is gonna get overwhelmed and some of those people are not gonna get help fast enough and they'll die.

It's the same as a stab wound that has not hit any vital organs. It is not "serious" but you still need to stop the bleeding or the person will die. In a normal circumstance, a person shows up with a stab wound you may have 2 nurses and a doctor assisting them. But if you have 10 stab wound victims show up at the same time and you only have 2 doctors, 2 nurses, limited medical equipment then some of those people may die due to loss of blood. Same principal with covid, except add in the fear and psychological trauma from the virus to the medical staff and it's not gonna be pretty.

Canada is going into shut down to prevent the spread so that our medical care is not overwhelmed. Our medical system is already so damn slow. You go into a hospital for something basic and you're there for 5 hours. Now Imagine all the regular hospital patients + a ton scrambling in with panic because they're infected. Shit will get ugly real fast.

I think Canada is 100% right in shutting things down. The spread has to be slowed down so that it can be dealt with.

destroyer

Super Heavyweight
While I agree precautionary measures must be taken, I do believe certain elements in the media are being used in this time of crises, to quicken the revenue streams of certain lines of products.

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
I think because of the rate it's spreading that I would not change my behaviour because I may be carrying it as many other healthy young men. Still going to he gym, still taking public transit to work and still going to work.
So I'm also healthy and I can bounce through this- but I also don’t have kids and I'm staying away from my parents but calling/texting/face timing daily. And I'm staying away from my cousin who has a respiratory issue- we share a gym locker and I asked him to stay home and stay away from the gym and our shared gym locker.

it's important to follow what's going on because it affects store shortages, traveling, work etc.

shooter

Heavyweight
i just live day by day, i really don't worry about it, but i just take precautions and keep stuff clean. but everything is closing around here.

Brow1430

Super Heavyweight
Day to day as normal nothing has changed for me or will change unless I'm ordered to self quarantine. I've been exposed to 3 suspected cases already, all of which came back negative. So status quo for myself.

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
restaurants, dentist offices, many businesses are closed to the public as of today. most businesses are staying open with employees going to work but no customers allowed in. I can't even go into get my dog's food, I have pay and they bring it out.
the list just keeps getting longer on what is being closed to the public. they declared a state of emergency yesterday.
this is going to be a long time before life goes back to normal.

TS1

Super Heavyweight
The details of a study that found the novel coronavirus could remain on contaminated plastic and stainless steel surfaces for up to three days has been published in the New England Journal of Medicine as a correspondence to the editor.
The study — funded by the National Institutes of Health — was posted online last week.
For the study, researchers compared the "surface stability" of the novel coronavirus with that of the SARS-CoV-1 virus, which sparked the SARS epidemic that started in 2002.
The researchers found that the novel coronavirus could be detected on...

Copper for up to four hours

Cardboard for up to 24 hours

Plastic and stainless steel for up to 72 hours.

Also, the coronavirus could linger in aerosols — the suspension of tiny particles or droplets in the air — for up to three hours, according to the study.

Brow1430

Super Heavyweight
There have been studies that show it can survive in "ideal"(which would be lab simulated) conditions for up to 5 days. Most studies I've seen are in the 2-3 day range.

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
deposits are being taken at banks by dropping your bag into their bag and they close it and leave it for an extended period before reopening it to ensure if the virus is on it - it will be dead. The world is a different place right now.

canadianpride73

Super Heavyweight
This is like a movie too me. Watching the story unfold. But in the end you only have you to rely on because the Feds are going to leave us to fend for ourselves.

Brow1430

Super Heavyweight
In a way I almost want to be my 20 year old self. Just stay at home with a couple reliable "friends" and drink my face off while being ****** off

Bubbles

Super Heavyweight
Panicking over a flu virus !God help us!