What's new

Thoughts on the need to solid workout partner/coach for competitions

md16

Rookie
Hey everyone,

Long story short after some interesting personal problems that left me with half a pay check and and a new house lol (you get the picture) I am looking to once again get serious about my competition goals.

I live in the waterloo area and have had lots of advice from others but want to get the 2%'s feedback on the need for coaches and training partners. Currently workout at a GoodLife solo, has great equipment and large variety of weights but there is not a lot of ppl there pushing to be competition ready, those that are are already buddied up and focused on the goal.

Always trained solo for most part as my friends are lazy and beer gutted (ie. great golfers) but I feel to make next step I need help posing and training to push me

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Personally I found posing coaching was very important but I did diet, supplements and training myself

I have to give credit to lots of people on this board even, for their input/help and others like john meadows' excellent training programs

But nowadays the information is out there - if you're curious and diligent enough to accumulate, sift through it and formulate a sensible plan...it can be done

It's not rocket science but the experienced coaches out there can GREATLY ease the pain/simplify the process and take a lot of guessing out of the picture

So if you want ease and more certainty, go with a prep coach...if you really need to save money and you're inquisitive, critical and methodical - try it yourself maybe

Don't skimp on posing though, absolutely drop some $ to have an experienced competitor or coach at least teach you the basics and their nuances

muscle_n_blood

Super Heavyweight
Personally I found posing coaching was very important but I did diet, supplements and training myself

I have to give credit to lots of people on this board even, for their input/help and others like john meadows' excellent training programs

But nowadays the information is out there - if you're curious and diligent enough to accumulate, sift through it and formulate a sensible plan...it can be done

It's not rocket science but the experienced coaches out there can GREATLY ease the pain/simplify the process and take a lot of guessing out of the picture

So if you want ease and more certainty, go with a prep coach...if you really need to save money and you're inquisitive, critical and methodical - try it yourself maybe

Don't skimp on posing though, absolutely drop some $ to have an experienced competitor or coach at least teach you the basics and their nuances
Lots of truth here. Also, attend the PRE JUDGING of as many shows as you can. The mandatories make you or break you. See what you are getting into. In a big show, who all is in the top 5 in a class are often pretty much settled after the initial quarter turns.

rocko

Super Heavyweight
MnB's comment about the need for posing practice is bang on. There is nothing more frustrating then seeing a first place physique with last place posing - it does make a difference.
Practice is hard and time consuming, but it will pay off in spades as this one of the areas that many first timers assume they will just figure out come show day - disaster!

The huge benefit of a coach, beyond their knowledge, is it's a second opinion. Many people have no concept for the mental mind fuck they are about to endure as they prep for a show. A coach can help keep you focused, centred and most importantly out of your own head. That has sunk many competitors - 'I'm ready, I'm just holding water...' - no, you're fat and haven't dieted hard enough.

md16

Rookie
Thanks all... Yes posing is something I definitely need to work on and will likely get a coach on. Good idea on attending shows prejudging. Didn't think of that.

Cheers all