What's new

Training in the A.M. vs. P.M.

Thread starter #21
Looks like there is a pretty good mix of what everyone prefers when it comes to training time and meal timing.

We'll see what i prefer after my attempt .

I would love to be able to dedicate my entire day to bodybuilding and not have to worry about scheduling but we're all still lucky to even be able to hit the gym which is something i keep trying to remind myself of when i complain about having to fit the gym in with everything else. Im happy that i have an "everything else" to fit the gym around.

Thread starter #22
Looks like there is a pretty good mix of what everyone prefers when it comes to training time and meal timing.

We'll see what i prefer after my attempt .

I would love to be able to dedicate my entire day to bodybuilding and not have to worry about scheduling but we're all still lucky to even be able to hit the gym which is something i keep trying to remind myself of when i complain about having to fit the gym in with everything else. Im happy that i have an "everything else" to fit the gym around.

Mnemonic

Registered
Do you take a pre-workout with a lot of stimulants? Could be post workout crash perhaps.
Maybe you need to shift your diet to provide more energy for after your workouts?

Both morning and evening have their positives and negatives. Personally it takes me a few hours to "wake" up, so my workouts suffer.
I also like the option of having more time to lift if I am in the zone or want to really kill a muscle group.
In the morning would be more efficient and scheduled, but that could be a negative depending on how you look at it.

I currently train at 9-10 pm, so I go home after, have my last meal, digest and pass out.
I would definitely need a form of pwo stimulant if I were to continue morning workouts.

Thread starter #24
Do you take a pre-workout with a lot of stimulants? Could be post workout crash perhaps.
Maybe you need to shift your diet to provide more energy for after your workouts?

Both morning and evening have their positives and negatives. Personally it takes me a few hours to "wake" up, so my workouts suffer.
I also like the option of having more time to lift if I am in the zone or want to really kill a muscle group.
In the morning would be more efficient and scheduled, but that could be a negative depending on how you look at it.

I currently train at 9-10 pm, so I go home after, have my last meal, digest and pass out.
I would definitely need a form of pwo stimulant if I were to continue morning workouts.
No stims except for A.M training on weekends at around 8:30am because if i have stims after 3pm on a work day then i am not sleeping until midnight. I drink green tea during the day at work but reuse the same single tea bag until im just drinking hot water. This is of course along with a healthy serving of straight water through the day as well.

As far as waking up I dont have much issue as long as im consistent and stick to a schedule. But yes, if i don't time it right or hit snooze for 10 minutes then i lose my workout for the day and i see myself struggling to make the change.

I think my job may also be killing my energy levels. Due to an industry slow down my job has seen a dramatic lull is activity and so; of my 8 hour day most of it is spent doing nothing and it makes the day drag and is likely putting me into a "sleep mode" of sorts, not exactly motivating. On a busy day i still sit for i hours in front of a computer screen but at least when im busy the day goes by really quick and i dont feel as tired. Also explains why im on here so much!

Thread starter #25
I used to go after work but got sick of crowded gyms and waiting for equipment to open up etc. Made the move to early morning workouts and can never go back. There's something about waking up early before everyone else and putting in the work while its quiet that I love. By the time most people roll out of bed and drag there ass to work etc I'm already wide awake and kicking ass on what I need done that day. This opens up my night for whatever I want to do, and without feeling guilty about what I have accomplished for the day.
I go to Crunch fitness which is a budget gym and it is insane right now. There is a wait for almost everything but im sure it's a different story early im the morning.

Lift4Life

Registered
I get best workouts late in the evening. I like to eat dinner, digest it properly and hit the gym when my tummy is almost empty. If possible, take a short nap after dinner. Sometimes morning workouts can be great, but sometimes I just feel stiff and have a shitty workout. I don't like the fact that my body is inconsistent that way so I do it just occasionally. Evening workouts are pretty much always good.

zenmonky

Registered
for me, morning training. i have a window of high energy while having an empty stomach. best time to do stimulants(coffee). when i done training, and eating, im tuned up to take on the day. and the complete chinese army. fuck training at night. i cant drink coffee after 2pm or i sleep poorly. training tunes me up, so that keeps me up. training increases my appetite, so im going to bed with a full gut, keeping me up. gym is full at night and so its more likely someone is doing something stupid on a piece of equipment i need. problem is its hard to be single and have a social life when you got to split a 9pm to prepare for the next day and get to bed

AM for me.
I work afternoons now which I awesome.
I wake up, go to the gym, have a nap and then go to work.
If I have a long enough nap it feels like I have lived two days in one.
Plus, the naps allow for me to recover, rest and get my mind away from the inevitable....work. Lol

If I had to work days again I would have to change my training schedule, but starting at 3 is best for me with regards to being able to get to the gym with a solid meal in me and be 100% focused and rested.

Grimlid

Registered
I switch it up all the time. I was amazed recently at how effectively I still train on an empty stomach at 5 am with 6 hours sleep. I use only aminos (5 types) with no stimulants aside from a cup of coffee pre workout. Also currently off cycle.
Coach Trevor recommended to try this as your stomach will be using up available blood supply to digest food which could be sent to your muscles and adding to pumps, (his theory anyways).
I find my weights are down a bit but my intensity is through the roof.

Thread starter #30
I switch it up all the time. I was amazed recently at how effectively I still train on an empty stomach at 5 am with 6 hours sleep. I use only aminos (5 types) with no stimulants aside from a cup of coffee pre workout. Also currently off cycle.
Coach Trevor recommended to try this as your stomach will be using up available blood supply to digest food which could be sent to your muscles and adding to pumps, (his theory anyways).
I find my weights are down a bit but my intensity is through the roof.
I have heard that about the blood supply.

I have always trained empty so i don't have much to compare to but i always have great pumps and am rarely on pump supps.