What's new

Two unrelated Professional Boxers die within days of eachother

Mnemonic

Registered
You may have come across this sad bit of news.

28 year old Maxim Dadashev dies days after brain injuries sustained after boxing match.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/boxer-maxim-dadashev-dead-brain-injury-1.5221916
(Final round of the fight, graphic exit)
Halfway through the round the coach begs Max to throw in the towel. Shortly after decision and exit, Dadashev can be seen stumbling and incapable of standing.
Vomiting in the stretcher on his way out to the hospital.

23 year old Hugo Santillan collapses unconscious after final decision of draw. Later dies to swelling of the brain.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/sport/hugo-santillan-boxing-death-trnd/index.html
(last round, decision, graphic sudden collapse)

Huge loss to the boxing world, RIP to the two warriors.

IMO, this weight cut bullshit in combat sports needs to end.
This is 100% to blame, they all go in knowing the electrolyte manipulation to that extreme can damage their brain and CNS function.
Some just go further than the body can handle for that extra edge, what a shame.

juicey8826

Registered
Truly sad seen this the other day, what do you blame though ? Coaches, athlete themselves ? Or is it just in the nature of the sport

Mnemonic

Registered
Truly sad seen this the other day, what do you blame though ? Coaches, athlete themselves ? Or is it just in the nature of the sport
Both. Though, you can't really blame anybody because they all go in knowingly, they are all to blame.
The Dadshev fight looked fine, he was getting hit more but he was tired. He was still swinging and connecting... He just hit that point of beyond exhaustion where his brain couldn't send impulses for his body to respond. Probably had multiple organ failure as well as brain swelling.

I think Hugo actually had kidney failure as well as brain swelling. I think I read that the brain swelling continued and started to impair organ function. Hugo's fight should've been stopped sooner, he was doing what he could to hang in there. Like, constant holding for break up and even a mouthpiece drop. Not to mention he started bleeding in the 4th round.

Here's a documentary of the dangers of weight cutting for combat sports. True eye opener what these superhumans go through every fight.

YODATRON

Registered
Some of the weight cuts they do in the UFC are crazy they cut like 30 pounds. Some of these dudes its dangerous for all combat sports but I think ultimately it's the competitor's choice to cut down to a certain weight class and everyone wants to be the best and hold multiple titles everyone wants to be remembered so they take crazy risks. RIP to the lost fighters and respect for putting your lives on the line.

OM101

Registered
Let's not forget the big cloves rattle the brain more than the smaller gloves or bare knuckle. I'd rather get punched in the face with a fist than a huge ass boxing glove. I'm getting a headache writing this thinking about being blasted by a huge glove.

Jdave

Registered
I think along with testing through the year they should weigh fighters to ensure they’re constantly within 5lb of their weight class.
Just bring a scale along with the piss test. The water cut associated with the weight cut is probably more dangerous than PEDS.
Some guy who’s normally 185 shouldn’t be given the chance to kill himself getting down to 170 just to drink back upto 180lb at the time of the fight and have that advantage over the opponent.