What's new

Water loading....

Jericho

Rookie
... I'm having to cut weight for a BJJ comp at the weekend. I've competed a few times before without worrying about my weight, but the gap is too big this time.
I'm currently walking around at 171lbs, and need to be around 164lbs by Saturday. I need to weight 168lb on Saturday morning, wearing my gi (approx 4lbs).
I'm trying a water load; 2 gallons yesterday, 2 today. Tomorrow will be tough as I'm flying to Toronto, but will aim for a gallon. I'm flying back on Friday, which i was planning to use to keep my water low. Already reduced my carbs.

Again, i'm a noob at this, but any idea how much weight i can expect to drop by Friday?
If i miss weight, i'm in the 185lbs bracket, which really means I'm probably competing against guys who are cutting from 190+.

Many thanks!

Goldenrod

Rookie
... I'm having to cut weight for a BJJ comp at the weekend. I've competed a few times before without worrying about my weight, but the gap is too big this time.
I'm currently walking around at 171lbs, and need to be around 164lbs by Saturday. I need to weight 168lb on Saturday morning, wearing my gi (approx 4lbs).
I'm trying a water load; 2 gallons yesterday, 2 today. Tomorrow will be tough as I'm flying to Toronto, but will aim for a gallon. I'm flying back on Friday, which i was planning to use to keep my water low. Already reduced my carbs.

Again, i'm a noob at this, but any idea how much weight i can expect to drop by Friday?
If i miss weight, i'm in the 185lbs bracket, which really means I'm probably competing against guys who are cutting from 190+.

Many thanks!
You must know this but fighters cut weight in saunas fo get the water out of them since that is mostly what we are. I’m no expert, but i read articles about guys torturing themselves in saunas with sips of water. Other guys get colonic - yes colonics to drop pounds.

Jericho

Rookie
Yeah, i'm aware of all that; those guys are dropping 30+lbs in a week.
In BJJ, weigh ins are the same day as the competition, so there's not enough time to kill yourself and then re-hydrate.
Cardio isnt my friend, so i need to keep my energy up. This water loading technique is the safest way to do it in a short space of time, especially if there's not much to lose.

Big belly

Rookie
If you’re in shape and holding some water shouldn’t be a problem but if you’re already shredded and you don’t think you can do it just do the 185lb comp don’t hurt your self bro

Goldenrod

Rookie
Sorry - the ways I know of cutting weight are mma related and Bjj so different time spans and rules.
I don’t know anything about drinking excess water to lose weight - sorry I can’t help you.
Good luck in the competition. I love BJJ but I hate the pain when tapping lol.

Anvil

Vet
You should be able to safely drop 10% of your body weight in a week for weigh ins.

Mnemonic

Rookie
Nobody can tell you how your body responds to various water cutting and loading.
You're already doing it right, 8-10L in the days leading up to have your body used to releasing large amounts of fluids.
Cut carbs as needed for your weight, a bit of cardio or training with minimal carbs will help deplete glycogen.
After weigh ins you just switch up to your carbed heavy electrolyte beverages and easily digested carbs.

I'd recommend pink sea salt added to coconut water for rehydrating as it has the highest volume of potassium as a liquid.
Aside from drinking straight potassium iodide (Cream of Tartar), but I don't think you want to shit yourself when submitting someone.

Should be fine, best of luck!

xpac2

Vet

Many thanks!
Water Loading should only cut you about 3-5 pounds. You're going to definitely need a night before sauna to get that water out. I've down it with amateur Muay Thai guys who do same day weigh-ins. Protocol was
Water loading with full cut and fast 24 hours before weigh-in, Sauna suit and sauna followed by epson bath until you hit within 2 pounds of weight as the rest will drop off overnight. This will take out all the water from the water loading if you don't want to use a diuretic.
Rehydration after morning weighin would be - Pedialyte after stepping off scale followed by baby food and bananas.

Last edited:
Get a sweat suit. I slept in garbage bags for 2 days to cut 6lbs for a no gi tournament. Ended up hitting a deer that morning on the way to the tourney. So didnt make it. You have lots of time to cut that much weight. Curious to know what belt you hold and who you train under?

I'm heavy weight now. Doubt I will ever make it to 199lbs again so I'm stuck in my division till im dead. Where are you competing? Do you know about smoothcomp.com gives all the competitions going on.

Last edited:

Old RhynoS

I have lost 8-9 lbs over night preping for a bodybuilding comp. Salt bath will get ya every time. Not real safe but what is.

I do this every powerlifting competition. I lose anywhere froM 7-9 lbs easy. Drink 6 litres a day for 3 days straight, on the day you fly even more as flying dehydrates you. Then 2 days before weigh in reduce water to 2 litres. Then 24 hours before no water and you can take dandelion root to help shed even more water. Eat only meat and veggies for the 3 days of water loading. 1 day before weigh no food after a light breakfast (very light). Should be no problem.

Here is Brian Carolls cutting weight of weighing in on a Friday. If Saturday then adjust by one day.

0AF9C934-C70D-43A1-8BC5-87F3D7A38368.png

Grimlid

Rookie
Yeah, i'm aware of all that; those guys are dropping 30+lbs in a week.
In BJJ, weigh ins are the same day as the competition, so there's not enough time to kill yourself and then re-hydrate.
Cardio isnt my friend, so i need to keep my energy up. This water loading technique is the safest way to do it in a short space of time, especially if there's not much to lose.
Same day weigh ins really keep the competitions fair in a lot of people's opinions. Good luck at the comp. and the water loss.