What's new

What’s better?

Joshl Lambric

Rookie
What’s better for muscle gain. Heavy weight lower reps, or lighter weight more reps

Harley00

The Rebel
The best growth for me , is heavy set morning, low reps. 6-12 range always aim for 60 secs under tension.

And light set at night , high reps on same muscle group 20- 30 reps for me this seems to be the quickest ways to gain muscle. Along with proper nutrition.

Cumminstech2

Super Heavyweight
I like compound movements to be heavy and low rep range, with accessories being higher rep range. Long negatives and control/mind muscle connection as well as TUT like @Harley00 mentioned is key. See so many people using their momentum or momentum of the weights to move the weight, and what does that really accomplish? A few at the end to force out some extra reps and ensure that maximal effort is achieved, sure. But right from rep 1, your doing yourself a disservice.

For example, a chest day would look like this for me..

4x6-8 Bench press
3x15 Chest fly’s
3x12 Incline press
3x15 Tricep dips
4x12 Tricep push downs

Heavier on the compound lifts, and more volume on the accessories. I pretty much always revolve my accessories around a larger compound lift, and I start off with a compound lift every day at the gym.

The large compound lift I think is needed for the sole purpose of progressive overload. Push and FORCE yourself to Increase your strength in the main big lifts, and you WILL get stronger. With getting stronger comes getting bigger.

Going high volume lower weight I don’t often see guys pushing themselves to get stronger because it’s hard to really track your lifts and set goals that way. For this reason alone I think incorporating low volume compound lifts and doing volume accessories around those lifts is the best way to go.

Progressive overload is the main component of training that will determine if you get bigger and stronger, or stay the same. Pair that with a planned out diet that you are able to maintain maximal and optimal nutrient partitioning on, and a little sprinkle of gear ontop, and you have yourself grandmas secret recipe…

Goldenrod

VET
Looks like you have your answers. I might add you need to try out different programs to see what your body responds to best. At some point, like others said, you will stall and have to switch it up. Some muscle groups, as a general statement, seem to respond better to reps (my shoulders for example).
I respond best to most exercises in the 10 - 15 rep range but I'm not training for 1 rep power movements.

For example I did a program 10-15 years ago that was based on supersets to a ridiculous degree called Cybergenetics. It was a two month program that came with supplements and I wanted to try something new. I grew a lot on it and you had to lower the weight you were lifting by a lot. I tried it a second time 3 months later and didn't respond near as well. It suspect it was the change and TUT (long sets / time under tension) that caused the hypertrophy. @Cumminstech2 hit the nail on the head with progressive overload - one more rep, 21/2 more pounds next workout, another 10 seconds under the bar, etc. Keeping track of your progress is key once you are past the initial growth phase everyone gets from training.

Just my opinion but learning about proper nutrition, no matter what system you use, is the most important component to growth. There are many factors but you need to eat right to grow.

Good luck - you new starting out with a weight program?

Goldenrod

VET
The best growth for me , is heavy set morning, low reps. 6-12 range always aim for 60 secs under tension.

And light set at night , high reps on same muscle group 20- 30 reps for me this seems to be the quickest ways to gain muscle. Along with proper nutrition.
Morning @Harley00 - do you really respond better at different times of the day via different reps ranges?
I have never heard someone say that before and am curious why someone would grow from lower reps in the AM and higher reps in the PM.

Just out of curiosity - are you training twice a day?

thanks,
GR

storman

Super Heavyweight
most compounds for me respond better to heavy training with reps in the 6-8 range but i learned over time, there are certain movements /bodyparts that need extra volume. Like shoulder press needs 10-12 reps and quads need 15-20. Calves need as much volume as i can give it.
Also i find some bodyparts need to be hit a min of twice a week but 3 times a week are better. While 3 times every 2 weeks is perfect for others

Harley00

The Rebel
Morning @Harley00 - do you really respond better at different times of the day via different reps ranges?
I have never heard someone say that before and am curious why someone would grow from lower reps in the AM and higher reps in the PM.

Just out of curiosity - are you training twice a day?

thanks,
GR
Morning,
It wouldn't make much sense to lift light in the am then heavy in the pm, for many reasons.

"Respond better at Different times of day" absolutely, your cortisol is highest in the morning, cortisol is basically your bodys inflammation control, so doing your heavy sets in the morning is way better because you have more cortisol circulation to help heal and fight off inflammation.

At night your cortisol is the lowest so light sets more reps are better hear due to your body naturally having lower cortisol, this makes for a better wake up freshness response in the morning. This should also not be done too late, around 7 pm about 1 hr after supper.

I like to shock the mucles, and work my heavy sets in the morning i give my self 1 hr , then in the pm around 10 hrs later usally around 7pm ill throw in 30 min of high reps on the same muscles groups the muscles by that time have already started to heal and repair from the heavy morning set. So you get that extra shock with light safe weight at night to really add an extra boost of the muscles group your working.

This can also be done with bands, there great hear for tut and light high reps.

With me time is everything, as i dont get luxurys of living home iv already been away for 7.5 months, so the small time that i get home i like to make the best out of my workouts.

For me i notice very very fast growth doing this , i belive it was an old article i read that arnold use to do this to maximize growth, and so i adopted it and did it or made parts of it my own and really enjoyed it. There was a few theroys behind it and how it works.

I am finally going home in 2 weeks, for a much needed 2 months off, yes i will be doing this workout routine when i get home with a 5 meal plan. I only get 1.5 to 2 months a year of gym time so i wanna make it count.

@Goldenrod Give it a try, and let me no i honestly i think you will come back with success.

Old RhynoS

Super Heavyweight
1-3 is primarily peak strength, as in show off strength or competitipn day strengrh and provides little hypertrophy. 3-6 offers mostly stimulis for strength growth, 5-12(15) primarily hypertrophy stimulus and 15+ is mostly endurance training.
Exercises need to be ones you can connect with. As long as you are still able to feel the muscle and cause disruption DONT CHANGE THEM.
Keep your sets between your mev ( minimum effective volume) and your mrv ( max recoverable volume)
You can program in your proression easy enough but its a guide, keep progressing via load, time, sets, reps intensity techniques etc.....( intensity techniques are for intermediate to advanced, new lifters just dont need them). Best way to monitor progression is to log your training, make sure you have correct form and use the same form on every rep.
Having said that , there is no concrete separation between strength and hypertrophy training and who should employ them. A stronger muscle has potential to get bigger and a larger muscle can get stronger. So to maximize one area it is good to employ the other at times thru your macrocycles ( yearly training blocks).

Joshl Lambric

Rookie
I like compound movements to be heavy and low rep range, with accessories being higher rep range. Long negatives and control/mind muscle connection as well as TUT like @Harley00 mentioned is key. See so many people using their momentum or momentum of the weights to move the weight, and what does that really accomplish? A few at the end to force out some extra reps and ensure that maximal effort is achieved, sure. But right from rep 1, your doing yourself a disservice.

For example, a chest day would look like this for me..

4x6-8 Bench press
3x15 Chest fly’s
3x12 Incline press
3x15 Tricep dips
4x12 Tricep push downs

Heavier on the compound lifts, and more volume on the accessories. I pretty much always revolve my accessories around a larger compound lift, and I start off with a compound lift every day at the gym.

The large compound lift I think is needed for the sole purpose of progressive overload. Push and FORCE yourself to Increase your strength in the main big lifts, and you WILL get stronger. With getting stronger comes getting bigger.

Going high volume lower weight I don’t often see guys pushing themselves to get stronger because it’s hard to really track your lifts and set goals that way. For this reason alone I think incorporating low volume compound lifts and doing volume accessories around those lifts is the best way to go.

Progressive overload is the main component of training that will determine if you get bigger and stronger, or stay the same. Pair that with a planned out diet that you are able to maintain maximal and optimal nutrient partitioning on, and a little sprinkle of gear ontop, and you have yourself grandmas secret recipe…
Great advice! Thanks

Justpicaname5

Super Heavyweight
For me it depends on the muscle.
Biceps I need moderate heavy weights and more like 10-15 rep range (where the weight allows only 10-15 reps max)
Compound moves like bench press I like to do 6-10 reps and the last two sets go heavy like 4-6 reps.

It varies for everyone. Just have to feel your own body out, and experiment.

BigBen

Super Heavyweight
Maybe its obvious, but I think you need to add to that question a qualifying condition, and that is reps to failure. There's nothing to be gained by just doing 6-8 reps unless it is to failure, or near failure. Nor do I believe in stopping just because I hit some target number of reps. Once warmed up, where feasable, go to failure. Some exercises I do improve more by going heavier and failing at a lower number of reps, like bench press. It's that set of 4-6 that makes the next chest day seem easier, and my muscles feel fuller and harder.

But some exercises I won't dare do that, like shoulder press, I am simply too delicate for heavy at low reps for my shoulders. I won't do any weight that I can't accomplish 10 reps. Also, for squats, I find it safer to do higher reps and not go to actual failure. At my age, its just too much risk. Nor would I do side laterals or rear dumbell fly's at a weight I could only do 4-6 reps. Those exercises require a strict movement that for me necessitates a lighter weight.

Brbpuppy

Super Heavyweight
You need to figure out what works best for you, we are all different, and respond differently.

I prefer 12-15 reps on everything. Quads / Arms 15-20 reps.

Proper form is a must...

- PacMan

I'm with Pac here. I personally prefer 12-15 reps on upper body. And 15-20 reps on lower body. I used to train heavy and low reps, but I just prefer the 12-20 rep range. At the end of the day man, do what makes YOU happy, and what motivates you to enjoy what you're doing #1.

Joshl Lambric

Rookie
1-3 is primarily peak strength, as in show off strength or competitipn day strengrh and provides little hypertrophy. 3-6 offers mostly stimulis for strength growth, 5-12(15) primarily hypertrophy stimulus and 15+ is mostly endurance training.
Exercises need to be ones you can connect with. As long as you are still able to feel the muscle and cause disruption DONT CHANGE THEM.
Keep your sets between your mev ( minimum effective volume) and your mrv ( max recoverable volume)
You can program in your proression easy enough but its a guide, keep progressing via load, time, sets, reps intensity techniques etc.....( intensity techniques are for intermediate to advanced, new lifters just dont need them). Best way to monitor progression is to log your training, make sure you have correct form and use the same form on every rep.
Having said that , there is no concrete separation between strength and hypertrophy training and who should employ them. A stronger muscle has potential to get bigger and a larger muscle can get stronger. So to maximize one area it is good to employ the other at times thru your macrocycles ( yearly training blocks).
Wow! Thanks. Great advice

manfreakyca

Super Heavyweight
my body dosent build more on.less reps now my body likes 20-25 reps big body parts 15 reps smaller bdy parts I love training around 1 in the aft!!I feel stronger on.more reps too

Huggybearz

Lightweight
So many great answers and knowledge on this board this is why i come here ! Personally I run a push pull legs a and b. On my ppl a I do heavy compounds 6 to 8, on my b days I do 12to 15 reps with my compounds. I always keep my accessories 10 to 15 reps.

maxmuscle1

Super Heavyweight
Consistently Training and Changing when you need to. I have grown doing every type of reps/sets/tempo/variations. I’d say no matter what: getting close to failure with intensity(doesn’t mean heavy). I do agree overall that less is more early on & diet is key.
But I like the 5-9 rep range for bodybuilding, To build a major base : just 3 days a week of a Modified 5X5 doing the major compound exercises and eating a ton of food to build a foundation. I grew for almost 2 years straight doing that.
Max 👍🤟💪

Top Bottom