What's new

What other sports/movements do you do?

Thread starter #1
Just curious -

Does anyone else train/study/practice any other sport(s) or fitness other than bodybuilding/strength training?

I really enjoy practicing QiGong and Tai Chi. I find that the stretching and meditative aspects of it really help with mindset, calming and overall stretch and core work as well as balance!

I spent years studying Ishinryu Karate but found that it was a hard on my body and ultimately stopped in favour of strength/power training.
However, I've recently come back to the aforementioned "slow" martial arts and I've found it to be great benefit.

Carver

Registered
Not much anymore, but I have been thinking about getting back into martial arts, I've taken a few throughout the years and they were all a great experience.
My kid is in Kung Fu, and while it has never really interested me as far as martial arts go (I always opted for more 'real life applicable' styles like Thai Boxing, or Krav Maga), I've been thinking about joining it as well.

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
I haven't had much time for it lately but I really do enjoy yoga in several incarnations

One of the reasons I originally started lifting/weight training was to be more imposing on the ice, but haven't played hockey in years now

I don't really consider motorsports 'sports' but I used to race sportbikes, I'm a bit too big for my 1pc leathers now though...another casualty of time/money constraints I suppose

kaly11

Registered
Play on a few hockey teams, going to get back into muay thai very shortly as well.

I used to train MMA for a couple years, I do miss it.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Oddly enough, perhaps, but aside from powerlifting and bodybuilding, I've played a lot of golf. I'm not really very good. Muscularity gets in the way of a good swing, and powerlifting strength is difficult to transfer to the back of the golf ball, at least for me. I've played little in the last couple of years. Hurts my back.
I do love to hike, and have ample opportunity where I live.

When I was younger, I did athletics, swimming, horse riding, tennis and a lot of running. The last few years I ran and played tennis.

Jdave

Registered
I mostly stick with hypertrophic routines
Every once in a while I’ll try more cardio based routines (hitting the bag, doing complexes, circuits)
And very rarely will I do strength only workouts.

NG_F

Registered
When I was younger I did mostly basketball, soccer and some boxing. Up until 28. Since 2002 I've mostly stayed with Silat and Kali MMA ( bladed and empty hand) and some maintenance powerlifting. My knees and right shoulder is shot from years of Heavy squatting and mixing in too much weights with my boxing training. of course it doesn't help that I was born with practically zero arch-flat feet(flippers) Despite my squatting form being perfect, my knees have taken a beating!

I train and coach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I am a 3rd degree black belt. Lifting is my quite meditation time and my time at the club is my guy social time. Both are big stress relievers. When I retire I will do learn some filipino stick fighting.

I trained doing trail running the last couple of years. I started running to loose some fat and ended up wanting to see how far I could go. I ended up putting down lots of 10 ks 20 ks 30 ks a 46k a 50k an 80k and I was training for a 114k that was cancelled a week out. also played rugby and I trained in mixed martial arts when I was younger. would love to get back into those

Grimlid

Registered
Practiced MMA with a club and coach a few years back.
Planning to start again within a month or 2 as I want to start cutting and trimming and it seems like killing 2 birds with one stone.

Grimlid

Registered
Oddly enough, perhaps, but aside from powerlifting and bodybuilding, I've played a lot of golf. I'm not really very good. Muscularity gets in the way of a good swing, and powerlifting strength is difficult to transfer to the back of the golf ball, at least for me. I've played little in the last couple of years. Hurts my back.
I do love to hike, and have ample opportunity where I live.
I used to do a bit of golfing back in the 90's. I read that pro golf had the second most back injuries of all pro sports behind hockey but ahead of football. Not sure if thats still valid but it made me think.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I used to do a bit of golfing back in the 90's. I read that pro golf had the second most back injuries of all pro sports behind hockey but ahead of football. Not sure if thats still valid but it made me think.
I couldn't play much this past season because of back issues. Couldn't even hit many balls on the driving range. I may be done with that.