What's new

What's a good cholesterol profile on trt?

Thread starter #1

Val

Registered
Hello everyone,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the closer to 1mmol/L HDL gets, the higher the hear attack risk, is that true?

I'm on ~100mg/week TRT for over a year, and on my last blood tests, I got these cholesterol results:

Code:
TRIGLYCERIDES 0,77 mmol/L ( 0,60 a 2,26 )
CHOLESTEROL 4,31 mmol/L
HDL-CHOLESTEROL 1,00 mmol/L
Homme: > 1,45 mmol/L
LDL-CHOLESTEROL 2,96 mmol/L
(calcule)
CHOLESTEROL NON-HDL 3,31 mmol/L
RATIO CHOL TOT/HDL 4,3
From the sticky, i see this:
Nevertheless, a quick reminder: your HDL should be 35 or higher; LDL below 130; and total to HDL ratio should be below 3.5. Oh and don't forget VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) which can be extremely worrisome. You should have less than 30 mg/dl in order to not be considered at risk for heart disease.
But what's 35 or 130 to mmol/L ???

TRT_Guy

Registered
Google “Calgary lab services lab tests” and you will find a page with the reference ranges for all of your tests... in the same units.

This information doesn’t directly answer your question, but i thought the info might be useful along the way. I’m interested to see where this goes too.

Last edited:

TRT_Guy

Registered
Here.... I just found this:

“The rules for converting cholesterol units of TC (total cholesterol), HDL (high-densitylipoprotein) and LDL (low-density lipoprotein) are the same: To get from mmol/L to mg/dL, you need to multiply by 38.67 . To get from mg/dL to mmol/L multiply by 0.02586 .”

Any one measurement being a little too low or high is of no serious concern. It is how the measurements relate to each other that matters. That is why the kinds of generalized targets you see on blood work forms and other places are not as useful as they could be. Ratios are what matters, not individual results.

The two most important things to look at are:
Triglycerides/HDL Ratio = 0.77 (under 2.0 is ideal)
With a ratio like yours, LDL and VLDL don't really come into play. Less than 1.0 is a gold standard here.

Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio = 4.3 (under 3.5 is ideal)
This could be improved, but isn't overly concerning given your TG/HDL ratio. You could do some work to raise your HDL (which is on the low side for sure), and you'll be golden.

How To Raise Your HDL (many of these also lower your LDL/VLDL)
- Eat or supplement garlic (a MUST-HAVE for people on AAS, even at therapeutic doses; I should do a full post on this some day)
- Improve your insulin sensitivity (eat less processed sugars and binge less on carb-heavy foods; eat healthier carbs in general)
- Eat a healthy balance of fats and avoid trans fats like the plague (make sure your diet includes a balance of Omega 3's that are high in EPA/DHA, monounsaturated fats, and saturated fats)
- Exercise regularly (which I assume you already do, given you're on this board)
- Quit smoking (if you smoke)

Thread starter #5

Val

Registered
Thank you very much guys. Some of this stuff should probably be added to the sticky.