What's new

when to do cardio

Double D

Seasoned VET
I prefer to do mine after my workout, but realistically I just squeeze it in whenever I have time or bored.

Brbpuppy

Super Heavyweight
Doing enough LISS at work throughout the day. Luckily for me, I'm getting paid to do my cardio, wouldn't have it any other way!

Deadliftaddict

Middleweight
I do fasted cardio at 530am for 30 minutes then start my day (have a treadmill at home)

Then when I get to the gym I do a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill or bike, do my weights then another 20-30 minutes post workout.

millenium girl

CJM’s GROUPIE
I only do fasted cardio (usually at 3 or 4am). I have been natural for more than 10 years.
Guys at my former gym used to do cardio after the weightlifting.

Justpicaname

Super Heavyweight
Fasted Cardio is my favorite, gets me ready for the day.

Put on Netflix and watch a show and 40 minutes goes by like that...

- PacMan
Now when you do fasted cardio in the morning, better to do a static speed. Or intervals?
Because I really don't feel I have the energy for HIIT or fast paced stuff before I eat.
But a nice moderate pace then I don't fade out so bad.

Goldenrod

VET
Reading all the smart people who say fasted cardio in the morning is best makes me think but unless that means waking up and having sex before work, there is no fasted cardio in the AM for this guy.

If your doing strength training and cardio 3-5 times a week, have a good diet, and pushing yourself you are going to be in better condition and shape than 90% of the world. It might be different for guys like @PacMan who is stepping on stage and every advantage means something but I hate steppers, hate stationary bicycling, and cardio machines. I won't do cardio unless I enjoy it. I love fighting and swimming so I will hit the heavy bag/spar or swim for an hour. I like walking/hiking new areas through the woods.

The gym I was using had a MMA section and few people used it so I would hit the heavy bag after my workout. I have one at home and a BOB and will hit the bag for 30 minutes - 60 minutes 3-5 times a week usually after a workout or after a short break.

That will never happen in the morning as I'm an early riser and it echos through the house and I want to have a partner and she would kill me. My point is simply doing cardio when you have the time and pushing yourself is the first step. I wouldn't be so worried about what time of day you do it. Find an activity you like that gets your heart rate up and is hard and push yourself. The exception being if your trying to compete - then hire a guy like @PacMan and do what he says.

iron lifter

Super Heavyweight
watch this -Justin Harris smart dude. basically best is fasted, second best post workout , 3rd 20 mins before a meal .

but he does the math using fasting glucose in morning etc and over 16 week prep it hardly adds to any quantifiable difference. now if your doing 90 mins of cardio cause you have to than it makes sense to split it up and fasting would be a good option second session could be later in the day after weights or anytime really.

but like goldenrod said unless your stepping on stage it probably will never ever matter when you do it. your using it to create a deficit end of story.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/bodybuilding/watch-is-fasted-cardio-the-best-cardio/

nomorals

Heavyweight
watch this -Justin Harris smart dude. basically best is fasted, second best post workout , 3rd 20 mins before a meal .

but he does the math using fasting glucose in morning etc and over 16 week prep it hardly adds to any quantifiable difference. now if your doing 90 mins of cardio cause you have to than it makes sense to split it up and fasting would be a good option second session could be later in the day after weights or anytime really.

but like goldenrod said unless your stepping on stage it probably will never ever matter when you do it. your using it to create a deficit end of story.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/bodybuilding/watch-is-fasted-cardio-the-best-cardio/
good link I've seen this go back and forth more recently in the past couple years where fasted was king and there was no debate then it swung to the whole "doesn't really matter as long as you do it" which ascribes to the CICO mindset of just total caloric burn/intake over the week.

I always do it fasted and feel better about it, even if in the end the difference isn't huge or it's all in my head. Morning cardio + 500mg Inj. Larnitine + 2iu GH is nice. Just put something on the headphones podcast whatever.

Bembry

Rookie
Ideally for you - fasted morning cardio as other people said.

PacMan

Seasoned VET
Now when you do fasted cardio in the morning, better to do a static speed. Or intervals?
Because I really don't feel I have the energy for HIIT or fast paced stuff before I eat.
But a nice moderate pace then I don't fade out so bad.
For example, I use the StepMill LV3 for 5 minutes, LV4 for 25-30 minutes, LV5 for the duration. I keep my HR at or around 120 BMP.

HIT is great, however after a few weeks you will hit a wall and be completely drained for training later on in the day...

- PacMan

Aucs

Super Heavyweight
I was never a fasted cardio kinda guy. I can see the benefits, but when I wake up, I’m too hungry. I prefer to do cardio post lifting when my HR is already up. 20-30 mins on a bike and Im spent. Rest days I’ll do some high incline slow jogging for 40mins, or ideally do some hiking. Im nowhere near the Monster @PacMan is though